Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Squealing van

Search this Thread

Old July 6th, 2018, 6:48 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squealing van

New to the forum and not sure where exactly to post this request for help or confirmation of my suspicions.
I recently purchased an AWD van 2004 to convert into a weekend camper or excursion vehicle and have found it to be a wonderful money pit. Probably pushing 200k , don't know for sure as the odometer is not the actual mileage and I have no service records to fall back on. The van has an annoying squeal or repetitive squeak at the front of the engine that I was sure was the alternator going bad after using a stethoscope so I replaced it to no avail. I then went down the line replacing the idler and tensioner pulleys as well as the belt and the squeal continues. AC belt was replaced(it needed it) and the power steering pump seems fine. I have no engine cooling issues in 100 degree weather and no coolant leakage and water pump seems to turn smooth and freely yet , when I started the 5.3 with the serpentine belt removed it runs quiet as a factory fresh motor. Any other options I'm missing besides a water pump?
Any help is appreciated
Old July 6th, 2018, 8:46 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

You've done a decent job of tracking it down. One question, is there a change when you switch the A/C on and off? If not, my guess is the water pump.

Or maybe it's just happy to see ya. When you do get this straightened out, there are a couple of us here who would be interested in your build.
Old July 6th, 2018, 10:38 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the response Stan , was actually hoping there was a magic bullet to avoid having to change the pump out , as if I was missing something obvious. No change with the A/C on or off and no strange noises from the power steering pump either but every water pump I ever had go south on me before made it very obvious they were failing. They either leaked or started sounding like they were full of gravel and this one is dry , turns nicely and cools just fine but I don't need it to fail when I'm a $1000 tow job from home. I'm just a decent shade tree mechanic , not a professional wrench , and don't look forward to working on the front of this thing in hot weather on exposed concrete so I have been delaying the inevitable .

I'd be happy to share the "build" with others and hopefully pick up some ideas along the way but trying to keep it inexpensive and simple. I did put a small Traxda lift under the van and increased the tires to 32" 17's so far but plan on leaving it mostly stock beyond that. It's just an old cargo van that will work well for a weekend camping rig for me and the dog and hopefully , once I get all the rats killed , a reasonably economical way to avoid motels rooms in dinky little towns around here. Sure will beat driving back and forth from fishing , hunting and detecting spots if I don't have to pay someone $15/hour to lay my head on a pillow. I'm not interested on sleeping on the ground anymore so it makes more sense to spend thousands of dollars on a portable bed ,,,right?
Old July 6th, 2018, 1:20 PM
CF Veteran

I only get to camp 2 or 3 long weekends a year, but I wholeheartedly agree. Can't wait for pics of the build and the dog.
Old July 6th, 2018, 2:07 PM
CF Beginner

Here's the dog
Attached Thumbnails Squealing van-p9040010-medium-.jpg  
Old July 7th, 2018, 10:05 PM
CF Veteran

Nice. Looks happy. But I'd be remiss if I didn't point out the internet rule of, any time you post a picture of a pet, you must tell us its name.

And to that, here is Hope, in the van;
Attached Thumbnails Squealing van-img_20180601_141218482_hdr.jpg  
Old July 7th, 2018, 10:48 PM
CF Beginner

I like the symmetry
Here's Rusty at work
Attached Thumbnails Squealing van-p9210007-medium-.jpg  
Old July 8th, 2018, 12:47 AM
CF Veteran

Perfect name for him.
Old July 14th, 2018, 10:48 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the spring on the tensioner pulley get the belt tight or is the spring shot? And what ever you do,,,, don't put belt dressing on a serpentine belt.
Old July 16th, 2018, 4:22 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm having the same issue with my 2000 express 1500 conversion van explorer. 5.7.I was told it was alternator, me iv'e never heard an alternator make this noise, but the van sat 5 years ago and had mud dobber nest behind it and figured i would change it anyways because of the age. Noise is still there and now the ck engine light came on, for Stan about when i turn on a/c after about 5 miles the ck gauges light comes on and they are fine except a very small drop from alt..I believe a little drop is normal when a/c is on. I'm sure a grooved tensioner is bad as i can wiggle a bit with belt on, but you mentioned if he had a/c on. Could you please let me know about this to help diagnose squealing and a/c. I'm sure i'm low on a/c juice because it blows ambient air out of driver and mid vents. All actuators Have been cked and fine. I did take apart blend door actuator and unstuck the gears and it works fine..By the way belt is fine Tks....