Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Squealing van

Search this Thread

Old July 16th, 2018, 5:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Any time you activate a decent current draw, you will see the volt gauge react. A/C, headlights, even the blower fan when running heat. A reaction is normal. Dropping below 13 volts isn't so fine.

Sitting can't be good for a motor, or pieces on it. It could just be time for a new pump. I am somewhat surprised I didn't have to replace it on my 2000 Astro that I traded last year. I have had to replace younger ones.
Old July 18th, 2018, 9:24 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by StanVan
You've done a decent job of tracking it down. One question, is there a change when you switch the A/C on and off? If not, my guess is the water pump.

Or maybe it's just happy to see ya. When you do get this straightened out, there are a couple of us here who would be interested in your build.
Stan,
I believe I have the same issue. However, in regards to your question about any changes when the A/C is on or off, the sound in my van goes away when the A/C is on. I have a 1987 Chevy G20, 5.7L V8. So what is causing this noise? I just purchased the van a few weeks ago. Here is what I have done to it since the purchase: A/C recharged with R134a and oil change. The mechanic who recharged the A/C says the belt is good and looks fairly new, and said the tensioner is good too. By the way, it's very noticeably loud when the engine is cold and the sound diminishes a little bit once the engine warms ups.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Al

PS. I have a video of the noise if you want to hear it.

Last edited by ajaani12; July 18th, 2018 at 9:25 AM. Reason: Add wording
Old July 18th, 2018, 1:46 PM
CF Veteran

You're going to need to start where the original poster did, and that's with a stethoscope on the alternator, and anywhere else you can (I know the water pump or idler pulley is tricky). With each piece you rule out, it narrows down the "what's left" list.
Old July 18th, 2018, 2:29 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks, Stan!!
Old September 22nd, 2018, 7:33 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a charge on my a/c juice and changed the belt tensioner. Squealing went away. But now when i put a/c on high only on high i get a big voltage drop. I'm not sure if the alternator i replaced is any good still have slight noise coming from it. Any ideas on the big voltage pull. And also in my research to guy that posted this, ck and see if you have a wobble on your harmonic balancer as this can make same noise also. Tks for any help...
Old September 22nd, 2018, 10:50 PM
CF Veteran

When you say high, are you talking about the fan speed? If so, your fan may be going bad.
Old September 24th, 2018, 7:49 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tks for answering Stan. I didn't explain myself very good ,sorry.. Fan speeds all work, just on high a/c it pulls a lot more voltage.
Old September 24th, 2018, 1:56 PM
CF Veteran

So, if I understand you right, you're referring to "Max" A/C? The only difference I'm aware of, between that and regular A/C is regular draws outside air, Max draws recirculated air. It sounds more powerful, because you hear both the output and intake airflow. But there should be no electrical difference.
Old June 25th, 2022, 12:11 PM
CF Beginner

hi, i have the same van, did you ever find out what that squeal was? maybe becomes more animated when in drive and moving, just a little chirp sometimes when in park?
help on this would be much appreciated!!

Originally Posted by jrt51
New to the forum and not sure where exactly to post this request for help or confirmation of my suspicions.
I recently purchased an AWD van 2004 to convert into a weekend camper or excursion vehicle and have found it to be a wonderful money pit. Probably pushing 200k , don't know for sure as the odometer is not the actual mileage and I have no service records to fall back on. The van has an annoying squeal or repetitive squeak at the front of the engine that I was sure was the alternator going bad after using a stethoscope so I replaced it to no avail. I then went down the line replacing the idler and tensioner pulleys as well as the belt and the squeal continues. AC belt was replaced(it needed it) and the power steering pump seems fine. I have no engine cooling issues in 100 degree weather and no coolant leakage and water pump seems to turn smooth and freely yet , when I started the 5.3 with the serpentine belt removed it runs quiet as a factory fresh motor. Any other options I'm missing besides a water pump?
Any help is appreciated
Old June 25th, 2022, 12:15 PM
CF Beginner

oops this is the posting that i ment to respond to.

hi, i have the same van, did you ever find out what that squeal was? maybe becomes more animated when in drive and moving, just a little chirp sometimes when in park?
help on this would be much appreciated!!

work ive had done to it is ac, new compressor, new steering pump and pulley. new belt. same squealing noise as explained above.

thank you for any tips on the culprit!!

Originally Posted by ajaani12
Stan,
I believe I have the same issue. However, in regards to your question about any changes when the A/C is on or off, the sound in my van goes away when the A/C is on. I have a 1987 Chevy G20, 5.7L V8. So what is causing this noise? I just purchased the van a few weeks ago. Here is what I have done to it since the purchase: A/C recharged with R134a and oil change. The mechanic who recharged the A/C says the belt is good and looks fairly new, and said the tensioner is good too. By the way, it's very noticeably loud when the engine is cold and the sound diminishes a little bit once the engine warms ups.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Al

PS. I have a video of the noise if you want to hear it.