Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

stranded. van wont start

Search this Thread

Old July 26th, 2020, 11:10 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stranded. van wont start p0496

Check engine light came on this morning, went to auto store to see what the code was for and got a p0496 evap emissions high purge flow... i bought a new solenoid and the van died on the travel back. I put the evap solenoid in while stranded but van still wont start. It did a wierd thing while it was driving after a semi hard brake, it kept beeping fir a good 10 beeps. Like the alarm that sounds when you leave the keys in. So now the starter just keeps going and van doesnt start. Hoping its not actually the fuel pump

Would a bad canister vent valve cause this?

Last edited by P0well; July 26th, 2020 at 11:53 AM.
Old July 26th, 2020, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

no idea what year or engine you have so hard to state specifics.
remove the gas cap and try starting it.

although i have never seen it, in theory, if the vent line is plugged completely it could cause a high ftp sensor reading ie high purge. if air can't get in to the tank when fuel is pumping out it can collapse the tank and stress the fuel pump.

if you think you have a fuel pressure issue...remove the air snorkel at the throttle body and spray a 3 second shot of brake cleaner into the intake manifold. if it runs briefly...you have a fueling problem.
Old July 26th, 2020, 12:13 PM
CF Beginner

Its an 08 4.8. Ill try the gas cap thing. I dont have much to work with since im stil waiting for my ride

Still didnt start with gas cap undone.... confused why it came up with an evap code if it was fuel delivery issue
Ill make a note that i did use a bottle of fuel additive to clean the grime n such just yesterday with 3/4 of a tank and suspect that lead to this

sounds like my fuel pump might be fried, ill try the brake cleaner when my ride gets here

Last edited by P0well; July 26th, 2020 at 12:31 PM.
Old July 30th, 2020, 8:37 PM
CF Beginner

Just wanted to follow up. So it ended up being the fuel pump. Kinda weird that it gave evap codes.