Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Tow hitch wiring 2019 Chevrolet Express 3500 LT Passenger Van

Search this Thread

Old November 24th, 2020, 12:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am picking my Express 3500 up on Friday. I am following along. I will post if I learn anything new this weekend.
Old December 28th, 2020, 5:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What’s this one?

I’ve got a 2019 Express with this 11 pin male connector at the rear bumper on the drivers side. Not like the one’s I’m seeing in others pictures. It looks like it would plug into the one above for a Chevy Traverse.

Last edited by Scott Tennille; December 28th, 2020 at 7:56 PM. Reason: Add information
The following users liked this post:
junk4785@gmail.com (June 1st, 2021)
Old December 28th, 2020, 9:42 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Scott Tennille

I’ve got a 2019 Express with this 11 pin male connector at the rear bumper on the drivers side. Not like the one’s I’m seeing in others pictures. It looks like it would plug into the one above for a Chevy Traverse.

It seems to be the same style of plug, but the pins are different. The traverse plug has larger pins on the right and left. Everything I have read says that the plug in the rear is for some kind of sensor and not for the tail lights. I was very disappointed when realized that plug didn't do anything useful for me.
Old April 5th, 2021, 11:14 AM
CF Beginner

Default Hardwire

Originally Posted by Matthew Eberhart
Hello. I need help with the wiring for my tow hitch for my 2019 Chevrolet Express 3500 LT Passenger van. There is a plug at the back bumper but it does not match any standard towing plus, either 4 pin or 7 pin. Also, under he driver side front carpet, I see what looks like someone had an electronic brake hooked up to this van since the wires are taped off, unsure what the two other plugs are that are taped to the wiring harness (white and green plugs). I do have a standard 4 pin wiring harness that connects to the tail light wiring, but if I can utilize the rear plug, I would prefer to do that. Any help would be appreciiated.

This plug is at the back bumper but not standard wiring plug for towing

Looks like someone had an electronic brake hooked up? Not sure what the white or green plugs are for.
The plug at the back could be to add a rear camera, but not 100% on that, or it requires a factor extension only sold by the factory.

I just did a brake controller on a 2019 express passenger van with the same plug at the rear. I hardwired the brake controller, the only issue I had was the location of the brake signal wire. There was a plug with 2 pigtails behind the dash near the drivers door...

Last edited by Scott Hager; April 5th, 2021 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Typos
Old April 12th, 2021, 10:47 PM
Newly Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been there did some of that and some not.
From E Trailer bought:
118392 T-One Wiring Harness $23.05
1 Redarc Tow-Pro Liberty Brake Controller $135.00
1 etrailer Trailer Hitch Receiver - Class IV - 2" $158.95
1 BRAKE CNTRL 7 WAY DELUXE INST KIT, 10 ga $121.65
$439.64
I wasted some $ and did not use the circ breakers from the kit nor did i want to penetrate the firewall for the 12 volt supply to the controller and the 12 volt supply to the trailer.
From Amazon (20A to controller, 30A to trailer.
https://smile.amazon.com/STETION-Res...d_bap_d_rp_1_t

After reading posts and over analyzing the project I decided to start from scratch and not try to sort out what may , or may not be in place.
For the traditional 4 wire trailer wiring the etrailer kit is great for tying into brake, running and turn signals. You cannot get a segregated brake signal that is unless you either go to the BCM which turned out to be over my pay grade and AllData DIY was difficult at best to sort this one out.
For the brake signal I tied in at the 3rd (hi) brake light. I ran the brake signal forward and the trailer brake controller output signal as well as the 30A fused trailer supply rearward on the inside of the van tucked in between the vinyl floor mat and the plastic side wall. The 12 V power supply to the controller and to the trailer was tied into the constant hot supply to the box under the drivers seat. To protect the circuit breakers and wiring I dissected a marine battery battery box which gives the breakers and connections a mounting surface and offers protection. As a result ALL of the trailer wiring exits the van interior at the drivers side rear cargo door.
All of the above was done over last week end and I was very pleased with the job, especially when i went to get the TT today and everything was spot on.

The following users liked this post:
MitchM (September 4th, 2021)
Old April 23rd, 2021, 3:47 PM
CF Beginner

Matthew,
Im writing about the plug on your van. Did you ever find a connector for it?. I have a 2018 Chevy van with the same plug and im trying to get a pigtail for it, so I can hook up my trailer lights..

same plug
Old August 19th, 2021, 10:57 AM
CF Beginner

Default Same goofy plug

I have that same plug at the rear of my 2019 Chevy Express 15 passenger van. My van has a towing package, but did not have a trailer hitch of plug in the back. I had the trailer hitch added, but they did not put on the 7 pin plug because I did not specifically ask for it. I was hoping that I could just get a 7 pin plug that would hook into the plug you show below, but I cannot find anything. In fact, I can't seem to find out much about that plug at all. Looks like I will be wiring this up the old fashion way.

TE=Sherry Goossen;463958]Matthew,
Im writing about the plug on your van. Did you ever find a connector for it?. I have a 2018 Chevy van with the same plug and im trying to get a pigtail for it, so I can hook up my trailer lights..

same plug[/QUOTE]
Old August 19th, 2021, 11:32 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

its for backup sensors, cant be used for tow wiring.
Old September 3rd, 2021, 9:00 AM
CF Beginner

Default brake signal

Originally Posted by Freedom Express
I have a 2018 Express 3500 that I set up for towing. It did not come with the factory tow package either. I had to run the wiring for both the four and seven pin connectors, as well as the brake controller. It wasn’t difficult do myself in just a few hours. I do recommend a second set of hands because there is a lot of getting up and down on the ground if you don’t have access to a lift. I purchased a wiring kit through etrailer.com that included everything needed for the installation except the brake controller. The attached video is very meticulously done and walks you through the entire process. I purchased the brake controller and class V receiver through Amazon (less expensive than etrailer).

https://www.etrailer.com/tv-install-...van-90195.aspx
I was wondering where you're pulling the brake signal from for your controller.
Old September 4th, 2021, 3:27 PM
CF Beginner

Hi Scott. I am curious about the plug with the black and blue wire pigtail. Were you able to get the brake signal from the light blue wire?