Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Use sealant on new water pump?

Search this Thread

Old October 4th, 2020, 5:14 PM
DWB
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
No they aren't. Manufacturing techniques have improved to allow tighter tolerances and greater efficiencies. Older cars required much more maintenance, so good riddance.

We learn from past mistakes, and it can take time to find sources of problems we used to have. So maybe bits of silicone floating around your engine was harming your old car, but you just didn't realize it until now.
Is the cooling system " floating around your engine" as you call it? It's not like sand in your oil.
Old October 4th, 2020, 5:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 615 Likes on 556 Posts

Yes, coolant literally flows through the engine block, cylinder heads, and sometimes intake, so any bits will be carried to all those parts and mating surfaces. Not to mention moving parts such as the heater valves, thermostats and water pumps. There are also many very small passages such as in heater cores (front & rear), the radiator, overflow tubes and air breather tubes. I'm not sure what you find so incredulous about that.

If you want to get your system plugged up then be my guest, but I have no idea why you would want to add something that isn't necessary any more. My water pump, diff cover, head gasket and other seals are dry as a bone. No silicone.

The following users liked this post:
john2000 (October 6th, 2020)
Old October 4th, 2020, 11:46 PM
DWB
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
Yes, coolant literally flows through the engine block, cylinder heads, and sometimes intake, so any bits will be carried to all those parts and mating surfaces. Not to mention moving parts such as the heater valves, thermostats and water pumps. There are also many very small passages such as in heater cores (front & rear), the radiator, overflow tubes and air breather tubes. I'm not sure what you find so incredulous about that.

If you want to get your system plugged up then be my guest, but I have no idea why you would want to add something that isn't necessary any more. My water pump, diff cover, head gasket and other seals are dry as a bone. No silicone.

Oh ok😬