Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

What did you do with your van today?

Search this Thread

Old July 27th, 2019, 7:23 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

About what I'd expect, had 'vette C4 (I think) rims on the 97 Camaro. Costed about the same per tire. Mo rubber mo money.
Old July 28th, 2019, 1:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 634 Likes on 575 Posts

So now that my tires are rotated, the pressures listed in my DIC don't match the actual tires. Mr. Berladyn and I spent a few hours trying to "relearn" the pressure sensors and had no luck.

We followed the procedure in this video exactly:

The computer simply refused to acknowledge that we had let out some air, and would not move on to the next tire. We tried about a half dozen times. Has anybody else had success with this?
Old July 28th, 2019, 6:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I had no problems when I did my tires last month. A '16 is supposed to "know". I'd check the owners manual for your year. My '16 says it will learn it when you first start up the vehicle automatically.

So, I washed mine today. Or maybe more like scraped it. Way too long ago, I drove over a fresh layer of slurry, and got tiny globs of it on the paint. At the time, I tried a bug & tar remover to no avail. So today, I got out there with the most abrasive thing I had that wouldn't hurt the finish. Working from the pass side rear, I got the area to the rear side door in about 45 minutes. It went quicker when I remembered I had a rotating tool that I could attach my scrubby to. But it still took all day.

But that slurry is no longer mocking me.

Last edited by StanVan; July 28th, 2019 at 7:06 PM.
Old July 28th, 2019, 7:06 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Seafoam has a recent product out, similar to deep creep. Was spraying header and exhaust bolts in prep for new gaskets. Started reading the can and it says safe to use for removing tar from paint. Don't know how true this is, might help someone.
Old July 28th, 2019, 7:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I'll keep that in mind, but hopefully, I won't need it.
Old July 29th, 2019, 12:29 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foolish immaturity

My brother had this great idea to dump my exhaust at the cat on my Express... Being the highly mature exceedingly intellectual individual i am i said brilliant and got to work. ten minutes later my work van sounds like a dirt track car with a clogged intake. Good times as far as I'm concerned, my neighbors however disagree. Sounds good for a van though. Not suprisingly the top end benefitted from the change. I removed the muffler and about 8' of 2 1/2" pipe with about 360° at a 1' radius is gone; and the cat is 3" with a small bent section recycled from an old axle saddle pipe pointed down and out welded on to reduce the drone. It sounds... Borderline illegal, so i plan to slap a straight through muffler on it for inspection/ legality concerns.
Old July 29th, 2019, 12:33 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
So now that my tires are rotated, the pressures listed in my DIC don't match the actual tires. Mr. Berladyn and I spent a few hours trying to "relearn" the pressure sensors and had no luck.

We followed the procedure in this video exactly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GExqzFe2IOg

The computer simply refused to acknowledge that we had let out some air, and would not move on to the next tire. We tried about a half dozen times. Has anybody else had success with this?
Nope my rear right doesn't register when re learning so i just have to remember they're inverted when i fill them. Also avoid tire slime. Great for nails / screws terrible for tpms.
Old July 29th, 2019, 8:43 AM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe

I had a similar problem after I bought my 2016 (used). The place I bought it from had rotated the tires for me before I took it home, but they didn't do the TPMS relearn procedure. I didn't try the procedure in the video. I bought a TPMS relearn tool for about $12 (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B072BK693N). It worked perfectly, and now I have the tool for future tire rotations, but I might try the process in the video to see if that works, too.

Last edited by GatorHawk24; July 29th, 2019 at 8:47 AM. Reason: fixed a word... apparently I can't type.
Old July 29th, 2019, 2:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 634 Likes on 575 Posts

"The use of TPMS in vehicles in the USA was mandated in 2008 by the Transportation Recall Enhancement, Accountability and Documentation Act (or TREAD)"

I have RPO UJM which apparently means it's a 315 MHz TPMS which is a Federal Gov't UHF band.

https://fccid.io/frequency-explorer....=315&upper=315

However, the sensors are activated and registered using LF

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct...irect_TPMS_IDs

"These typically use similar technology to 125 kHz RFID tags where the transmitted field is predominantly magnetic"

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; July 29th, 2019 at 2:50 PM.
Old July 29th, 2019, 3:03 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorHawk24
I had a similar problem after I bought my 2016 (used). The place I bought it from had rotated the tires for me before I took it home, but they didn't do the TPMS relearn procedure. I didn't try the procedure in the video. I bought a TPMS relearn tool for about $12 (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B072BK693N). It worked perfectly, and now I have the tool for future tire rotations, but I might try the process in the video to see if that works, too.
I think $12 sounds like a good investment.

Quick Reply: What did you do with your van today?