Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

02 Express dome lights and alarms

Search this Thread

Old February 28th, 2013, 5:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Express dome lights and alarms

Hey all,

I recently picked up an 02 Express 2500 and have noticed that the dome lights don't turn on when either front door is opened. They work if I turn them on from the switch. I've also checked that the dome override isn't on. None of the alarms work either, like if you leave the headlights on or leave your keys in the ignition when you open the door.

I suppose it could be the switches in the latch assemblies, but I'd be surprised if both would be coincidently bad. Wondering if there could just be a connection unplugged that would cause this?.?.?

Any thoughts appreciated. I've already gotten bitten by leaving the headlights on and not noticing it.
Old February 28th, 2013, 11:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

relay...fuses.....did you check those. It might be a multifunction relay.
Old March 1st, 2013, 2:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

you are on the right track; have someone with a scan tool check the bcm inputs for the door latches. The bcm will display the state of the door latch switch and key in ignition.
Old March 1st, 2013, 4:19 AM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be sure to press the dome light override button and test the fuse at the inside fuse box, then test the orange wire at the dome light it should have battery voltage, then test the white wire at the dome light for ground just connect the test light wire end to power. If the power checks out okay, then test ground to the headlamp switch. L ppl wire & B gry with door open. If no ground at ppl, it's bad door switch, if no ground at gry, push over ride button test again. If still, it's bad switch and replace it. If all tests are good you will have to test the lamp module.
Old March 1st, 2013, 8:03 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow guys... thanks for the quick replies... I'll do some more testing! Funny how much I took little things like alarms and dome lights for granted.