Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

02 express still will not start

Search this Thread

Old February 18th, 2021, 5:40 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts
Default 02 express still will not start

New pump, new filter, new tank, put about 5 gallons in it, no change from before. Temp sensor is about 8 months old. 136,000 odd miles on it.

Engine cranks, pops, kicks the starter off, dies, sometimes the starter even continues to spin no longer engaged. Sometimes cranks and stops dead like the battery is dead. Battery is new about three months ago. Sometimes cranks and cranks popping a bit but not enough to run. Sometimes seems like it bucks back like it was trying to run the engine backwards.

Only sign of trouble before this was one hard start and a little bit of misfire on idle at a light. Ran fine under load and on highway. Came home, shut off, 36 hours later no start. Prior to this, this van often had to crank a few seconds, then stop, then crank again before it would fire and go. However now it seems to try to fire right away every time. So that may be a clue.

There are no codes set. It does it with either key. I am going to go out and try the key trick (turn ignition on, pull key out, wait, return key) in a bit, if that will work on an 02.

I would think if something was bad in the ignition (cap, rotor) it would still start.

I suppose the fuel pressure regulator could be bad. Some of these symptoms match that issue.

It is heavily rusted and it's possible there is a bad ground strap somewhere.

I presume it's something simple I've overlooked, or maybe it's that regulator which is a nightmare to change.
Old February 18th, 2021, 6:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

Start with the easy stuff, like spark plugs.

Did you buy a Delco pump?
Old February 18th, 2021, 6:17 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Key trick does not work on 02-back.

$150 Delphi pump, same brand as was in it, same brand as was in the replacement tank (same model number even on that one).

Would have a hard time believing plugs would just stop working overnight. None of that stuff is easy on a van.