Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

1977 Chevy 454 (Motor-Home) - Won't Start - Runs High

Search this Thread

Old September 21st, 2010, 7:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 1977 Chevy 454 (Motor-Home) - Won't Start - Runs High

So I was having this issue, where if I stopped at a stop light, and started to go, it would stall when I would give it gas. So I ended up changing the fuel filter. I today took it for its first test run. It seemed to run fine, no stalling or anything. The speedometer did go out on the way to the gas station. Then I got to the gas station and put premium gas in it, to clean the motor in case some dirty gas got through there. I got gas, and then started it up. Every time I would put it in drive, and go to take off, it would die on me. Started it back up, put it in drive, went to take off, and then it would die again. Then it wouldnt even start at all. Kept trying, trying, nothing.

So then, after a while of trying, it fired up, and was running really high, like it was revved up all the way. I turned it off. Checked the carburetor, seemed fine. Started it up again, again high revving. So I took the carb. lid off while it was running, and when I shut it off, gas splashed out of the carb. Ended up having it towed home, and now it wont even start.

It a 1977 Class A RV, with a Chevy 454 Big Block, 7.4L.

Anyone have any ideas what this could be? Please help, i'm broke and really need this fixed. Any ideas are much appreciated. Someone mentioned possible the floats, and even a leak in an air-line. I'm pretty sure it has the qudra-jets

Old September 27th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 454 stall and rev

I had that problem with my 454 and it turned out to be the fuel reg wires were tooo close to the block and the caseings melted togather and caused the reg to do what ever it wanted, the wires go to the brain and the brain was totally confused. it took 6 hrs in a motor shop to find after i replaced the fuel pump & filter and thye found it under the dash but the wires hung down by the block.
I have 2 G30 454's and have learned alot about these old RAT motors
Attached Thumbnails 1977 Chevy 454 (Motor-Home) - Won't Start - Runs High-lady-beast-1-.jpg   1977 Chevy 454 (Motor-Home) - Won't Start - Runs High-lady-beast-2-.jpg   1977 Chevy 454 (Motor-Home) - Won't Start - Runs High-lady-beast-3-.jpg  
Old October 12th, 2010, 6:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like a super rich condition. I d think you need a carb rebuild. I think your choke is mess up and you may have a vacuum leak from the transmission to the carb. Check out the modulator and trans vac lines and take that carb off and see if the springs, float and what not are in order.

Your idle speed control valve may be doo doo or rpm may be too low...
Old October 14th, 2010, 5:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

also I think your choke may be faulty. It may be stuck closed.
Old October 16th, 2010, 5:58 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u should probably rebuild the carb, try the choke and vaccum first, but any time an old carb sits for a while, it dries out
...and there is no brain in it, yours is carb only

Last edited by 2wd-K5; October 16th, 2010 at 6:00 PM.