Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

1989 GMC Vandura 2500 350 V8 hard start

Search this Thread

Old June 1st, 2022, 2:07 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 GMC Vandura 2500 350 V8 hard start

Hello, this forum seems to be the best place for my question.

My 89 Vandura with the 350 suddenly has a problem with hard starting. The starter will crank and crank the engine over, but it won't fire unless I depress the gas pedal all the way down, and then feather it once the engine starts. After 10-20 seconds of rough running, it will settle into a normal idle speed. And from there it doesn't have any problems driving, although the first time this happened today it did misfire a bit.

It has fuel injection of some type, as this is a conversion van.

Does it sound like a fuel pump issue or is there something else I should look at?

Thanks for the help!
Old June 1st, 2022, 10:29 AM
CF Monarch

Received 353 Likes on 334 Posts

Sounds like a fuel problem. Have you changed the gas filter? Do a fuel pressure test with a cold engine. Spray some gas or starter fluid into the throttle body and if it starts quicker then it is most likely the fuel pump. When you change the fuel pump, it is always a good idea to also change the gas filter.
Old June 1st, 2022, 1:18 PM
CF Junior Member

Does starting require more pressure than idling and driving? How difficult is it to change the pump — can I just remove the tank strap bolts from one side? It’s a very rusty old van and that part concerns me.

Thank you!
Old June 2nd, 2022, 8:27 AM
CF Monarch

Removing one strap is not enough. You will have to drop the tank to get the clearance to lift out the old pump. Make sure the tank is empty before doing this. Do the fuel pressure test and replace the filter first to verify it is necessary to replace the pump.
Old June 2nd, 2022, 1:41 PM
CF Junior Member

Can I remove the strap bolts on the rear and bring the tank down from there? How are the straps attached on the front side?

Also I don’t know where the fuel filter is or how to do the pressure test. Is it external from the tank and in line underneath or in the engine compartment?

Thank you!
Old June 2nd, 2022, 2:07 PM
CF Monarch

You should be able to only remove the bolts on one side to get the tank down. Follow the gas line from the engine to the tank, you will see the filter, it is usually on the drivers side attached to the frame.

Old June 4th, 2022, 2:36 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Fuel filter is inline near the right rear shock.

I recommend cutting that portion of fuel line out as the connectors are specific and usually stuck pretty tight (although Dorman Help! does make a replacement set for around $25). The fuel pressure on these is only about 15, so you can splice the line with fuel line hose and clamps.

I also suggest routing the fuel line out around the shock and through a hole in the crossmember there (be sure to protect it from rubbing in the hole, or wire it up). Check under your upper shock mount for rot while you;'re at it.

Before you drop the tank to change the pump you should check the fuel pressure. This can be done on the TBI unit with a $20 HF fuel pressure tester; these have no test port, so you'll have to mount it inline or add one.

You could cut a hole in the rear floor to access the pump, if you can peel up the carpet.

I will say these having an electric fuel pump, you should be able to hear it run when the key is turned to on, it will run a few seconds with the engine off. If it's giving you the proper pressure then there is some other issue. It's not like a carburetor system.