Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

1995/96 G30 common problems?

Search this Thread

Old June 12th, 2020, 12:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995/96 G30 common problems?

Hey all, first time poster here. I'm going to look at a '95 and a '96 G30 tomorrow with about 135k miles on each of them. Are there any common problems with these vans I should watch out for? They both have 350s in them, so I'm guessing I don't have much to worry about with the engines at that mileage.

Thanks!
Old June 12th, 2020, 11:20 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Last year I bought a 95 G20 with a 350 and 130k also. I test drove it, listened and looked for smoke. I got the van as a hobby to work on and here's what that looked like.

So the owner gave me all the service records he had that totaled $10k. He didn't to anything accept drive it to the shop.

Below are just the things that I repaired and not the preventive maintenance parts i changed while i was in the area.

Radiator - leak
Water pump - leak
heater control valve - leaking
EGR valve failed
Vacuum hoses cracked leaking
shocks all worn
Idler arm - worn
Pitman arm - worn
tie rods - worn
steering box - worn
transmission pulse width modulator solenoid - failed
exhaust flange gasket - leaking
Intake manifold gasket - failed once system was pressurized when all the leaks were sealed
ignition lock cylinder - stuck in the on position one day
Wiper motor pulse board - Failed. known issue and a pain to replace
power window motor - failed
power window switch - failed

I would be checking for cooling system leaks, oil leaks, transmission shift quality, steering quality and suspension quality. These are negotiating points as i see it because they are all fairly easy to replace even though its van and everything is harder.
Any sign of smoke would be a red flag. If you can take a combustion gas tester and fluid and perform a test that would give you some peace of mind that the heads are good.
Old June 13th, 2020, 6:57 PM
CF Beginner

Awesome, thank you! That was really helpful when I went and looked at it today. I didn't have a combustion gas tester, but didn't see any smoke or leaks, it drove well, and had almost no rust. I ended up buying it for $2500, which considering it's an east coast truck with no rust and 130k, felt like a pretty solid deal.

I appreciate the advice! Looking forward to getting the van all cleaned up.
Old June 14th, 2020, 4:21 PM
CF Junior Member

Which one did you get?

It will be fun to go trough it and take inventory of everything. Then establish a base line tune up and fluid flush of oil and filter, transmission filter and fluid, differential oil and gasket, Coolant flush, etc. The only one I still need to do is flush the brake lines.

Sounds like you made a great deal.
Old June 14th, 2020, 4:28 PM
CF Beginner

The '96.

Because of MA registration law, I left it with the owner, and I have to register it and then drive back to the owner's place, put the plates on, and drive it home...so hopefully it'll make it the four hours home! The guy I bought it from said he'd go through all the fluids and do some little fixes before I come get it, so that it's in good shape for the drive home.

Then, time to do all the maintenance and start building it out! I'm stoked.
Old June 15th, 2020, 10:46 AM
CF Beginner

By the way, if anyone knows where to find a factory service manual for a '96 G30, I'm very interested in buying one. I haven't been able to find a genuine one online.
Old June 15th, 2020, 11:34 AM
CF Junior Member

Do you use eBay? I found all three there, factory service manual, drivability, and unit repair.

I bet you find one there.
Old June 15th, 2020, 12:23 PM
CF Beginner

I was able to find a Haynes manual on eBay, but not the official FSM...I'll keep looking though!
Old June 15th, 2020, 12:43 PM
CF Junior Member

Try searching for this " 1996 gmc van service manual"

Old June 15th, 2020, 1:02 PM
CF Beginner

Ah, ok, I saw those but didn't realize that the Express/Savana manual would be the same as the G30. Good to know -- thank you!

Quick Reply: 1995/96 G30 common problems?