Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2000 express upgrades

Search this Thread

Old November 18th, 2019, 7:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 express upgrades

Just bought a 2000 express 3500 with 80k on it and its already decided to start leaking at the intake manifold. While Im there I was thinking about what upgrades I can do for a little more HP. Its got a 5.7 vortec. Is there a cam swap I can do that will make more power but stay streetable and not kill my mpgs? Computer tuners? Main goal with the van is just a reliable driver and get me to and from trail heads in the mountains, she was a little weak going up a few grades. I believe the rear is a 3.73. Are there any other preventative maintenance things I should do while im there?

Interior wise are there any better seats that I can swap in?
Old November 19th, 2019, 6:13 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by bigredball90
Just bought a 2000 express 3500 with 80k on it and its already decided to start leaking at the intake manifold. While Im there I was thinking about what upgrades I can do for a little more HP. Its got a 5.7 vortec. Is there a cam swap I can do that will make more power but stay streetable and not kill my mpgs? Computer tuners? Main goal with the van is just a reliable driver and get me to and from trail heads in the mountains, she was a little weak going up a few grades. I believe the rear is a 3.73. Are there any other preventative maintenance things I should do while im there?

Interior wise are there any better seats that I can swap in?
Sure you could put a _mild_ cam in it. I'd definitely put a Cloyes timing chain in too .Might as well put some better lifters in while you are at it too.