Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2004 Express 3500 Axle flange torque specs?

Search this Thread

Old July 3rd, 2023, 9:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Triaged
I didn't pre-fill the hub. I'm not quite that smart... But I did grease the bearings just in case when I had my 14-bolt FF apart. Is it difficult to have the oil not leak out when reassembling?
I'll let you know when I finish. I got cold feet on doing the "count the threads on your locknut" technique recommended by YouTube and am waiting for the lockring socket to come in the mail from Rock Auto. Felt a bit of play doing it the wrong way, tightened a little to what felt right, then started questioning myself and worrying about worn bearings and figured I should do it the right way, even if it's a bit more expensive for a single use tool.

Also, this is for my RV. So just in general I tend to lean towards spend a little more to do it right, especially when dealing with brakes and wheels on the mobile house that carries my family at highway speeds.
The following users liked this post:
Triaged (July 3rd, 2023)
Old July 3rd, 2023, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by Triaged
I didn't pre-fill the hub. I'm not quite that smart... But I did grease the bearings just in case when I had my 14-bolt FF apart. Is it difficult to have the oil not leak out when reassembling?
the grease will work.

fluid will leak out...dump as much diff fluid in until it pours out then quickly install the outer bearing.
Old July 9th, 2023, 2:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 660 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by drphungky
I'm not going to drop $400+ on a manual
If it saves you from taking it to a mechanic (4h) , then it pays for itself. But $400 also gets you 9 years of Alldata which is nice because you get keyword search and bulletins.

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; July 9th, 2023 at 2:51 PM.
Old July 9th, 2023, 2:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
If it saves you from taking it to a mechanic (4h) , then it pays for itself. But $400 also gets you 9 years of Alldata which is nice because you get keyword search and bulletins.
Fair enough. And I'd probably feel differently if I bought a new or much newer RV I intended to have for many many years. This one was bought off my folks after asking if we could borrow it because they wanted an excuse for a new one. I'm not sure how long I'll have this old girl.