Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2006 GMV Savana Rough Idle, AC Issue, Vacuum Leak...All Related?

Search this Thread

Old July 5th, 2013, 12:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 GMV Savana Rough Idle, AC Issue, Vacuum Leak...All Related?

Ive got a 2006 Savana with a 6.0. I first noticed that under load, like more than 50% throttle the air conditioning would go from blowing out the dash vents, to the floor and defrost. A few days later I noticed a rough idle followed by the air conditioning only blows out of the floor and defrost. after about 45 minutes of driving, it will start to come out the dash vents, but any slight increase in load it defaults back to the defrost. i can hear the door/flap in the dash move when this happens.

Am I right in suspecting a vacuum leak? And is there anywhere in particular I should start my search? I already checked the vacuum lines up by the passengers feet. I didn't see any issues there, other than it does hang down a little, but all the lines were connected and the clip seemed tight.

Last edited by tpirocz; July 5th, 2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old July 5th, 2013, 4:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't think that the air conditioning is vaccum controlled on the newer vans. i would get a code reader and start there. Sounds like elec issue.
Old July 5th, 2013, 6:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

after further investigating i found the vacuum actuators on the right side of the dash. they are kinda hard to see, but you can get to them. i was able to push the linkage and i could make the air come back out the dash vents. i noticed the yellow/orange colored vacuum lines were connected to both actuators. they both run back together at a "t" the "t" had a split in it. i found a "y" joint in my toolbox that happened to be the right size, so i replaced it. everything is back to normal now. at least for my test in the driveway. i will know for sure tomorrow, ive got a 3 hour road trip in it tomorrow.

Last edited by tpirocz; July 5th, 2013 at 6:05 PM.