Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

6.0- Loud knock and violent engine shake??

Search this Thread

Old April 9th, 2022, 12:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 6.0- Loud knock and violent engine shake??

I have a 2010 extended 3500 Express van 6.0 with 300300 miles. Engine has always been strong, I change oil regularly and switched to full synthetic 5000miles ago. I have heard a slight ring/knock like a bell. It was not loud and I have a front end issue that I assumed is were it was coming from. Yesterday after driving at least 100 miles as I pulled onto my road it got louder and sounded more like a knock coming from under the van. it was not as loud at hi rpm but still there. It sounded like from the engine/transmission area. No signs of leaks, oil & transmission fluid were normal. From under the hood the noise sounded not as loud but very clear. I checked the fan clutch & water pump both seemed ok. after running at idle for 30min while looking it over I noticed the oil pressure down to about 10psi. it usually is always between 30 - 40psi. I changed the oil with conventional oil and the pressure jumped back to 38psi. but knock still there, it sounded different and with a steering wheel vibration. I am not great at diagnostics like this. Any suggestions would help. I am new to this forum thing so please understand. Thank you
The following users liked this post:
Twscarp (April 9th, 2022)
Old April 9th, 2022, 12:19 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Does it get louder when the A/C is on? (at idle)
Flexplate may be cracked.
Old April 9th, 2022, 12:33 PM
CF Beginner

A/C is disconnected. It seems to get quieter at acceleration.
Old April 10th, 2022, 10:30 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

My wife's Cadillac had similar symptoms. Noise was louder when the A/C was on. Cadillac tech replaced the compressor and was surprised when the noise was still there. Thats when the 'Old Guy' mechanic had him check the flex plate. It was cracked across the crankshaft mounting bolts. Evidently the load from the A/C compressor put enough stress on the engine to cause the crack to knock as it flexed back and forth. Noise appeared to come from transmission and the engine up front but only because it had transmitted up the crankshaft.
New Flexplate and all was well..
An easy check to do before pulling the engine apart.
Old April 16th, 2022, 10:52 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Rod knock will rattle when you let off the gas

So will a loose U-joint

I'd check the flexplate first
Old April 16th, 2022, 11:43 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by og52
My wife's Cadillac had similar symptoms. Noise was louder when the A/C was on. Cadillac tech replaced the compressor and was surprised when the noise was still there. Thats when the 'Old Guy' mechanic had him check the flex plate. It was cracked across the crankshaft mounting bolts. Evidently the load from the A/C compressor put enough stress on the engine to cause the crack to knock as it flexed back and forth. Noise appeared to come from transmission and the engine up front but only because it had transmitted up the crankshaft.
New Flexplate and all was well..
An easy check to do before pulling the engine apart.
Is there a way to check the flexplate without removing the transmission?
Old April 17th, 2022, 2:58 AM
Super Moderator

Received 667 Likes on 605 Posts

remove the cover
Attached Thumbnails 6.0- Loud knock and violent engine shake??-143850d1501888222-4l60e-2wd-removal-pics-img_5274.jpg