Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

93 G20 Trans Cooler Lines

Search this Thread

Old March 25th, 2024, 3:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 G20 Trans Cooler Lines

Howdy!

​​​​​​I just bought a 93 G20 with a 350 engine and 4L80E tans. A couple days after purchase, my radiator cracked.

I was in the process of replacing the radiator, hoses, etc. I was trying to disconnect the lower trans cooler line from the radiator, but the fitting was seized to the line and I went and twisted the heck out of the line to the point where even if I got them unseized, I probably shouldn't run the twisted line.

Now my problem is that I can't find a replacement line anywhere. I'm thinking of replacing it with AN line, but because GM changed the location of the cooling line on the 4L80E in 96/97, I'm having trouble telling what fittings I would need to make the adapters work. A high pressure/temp rubber line seems easier but I've heard it might not be a good idea to make the whole line rubber for longevity.

Anyone have any experience with replacing the lines on the older 4L80E? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm open to any ideas to get my van going again.

Thanks in advance!
Old March 25th, 2024, 4:45 PM
CF Monarch

Received 362 Likes on 343 Posts

Welcome from Florida. You don't need to make the whole line out of rubber. Just use it for a short piece to replace the bad part. Get a fitting to fit the new radiator which should be easy and just splice in the rubber piece or use a coupling to make it all metal.
Old March 25th, 2024, 9:03 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevy
Welcome from Florida. You don't need to make the whole line out of rubber. Just use it for a short piece to replace the bad part. Get a fitting to fit the new radiator which should be easy and just splice in the rubber piece or use a coupling to make it all metal.
I don't have a flaring tool, is there a way to do that without flaring the the tubing I cut to give the hose something to clamp to? I'm willing to get a flaring tool if I need one but I was hoping to avoid the expense if possible.

Thanks again for your advice.
Old March 26th, 2024, 8:02 AM
CF Monarch

Received 362 Likes on 343 Posts

You can find flaring tools at decent prices especially if you go to a flea market and get a used one. You can also borrow one if you have a friend that has one.
Old March 27th, 2024, 6:50 AM
CF Beginner

Sounds like you've run into a bit of a snag with your radiator replacement. Dealing with seized fittings can be a real pain. As for replacing the transmission cooler line, using AN lines could be a solid solution, but you'll want to make sure you get the right fittings to adapt them to your 4L80E. Since GM changed the location of the cooling line in later models, it might take some trial and error to find the right setup. Alternatively, a high-pressure and temperature rubber line could work, but longevity might be a concern. Maybe reaching out to a local transmission shop or online forums for advice could help narrow down your options. Best of luck getting your van back on the road!