Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

94 g20 steering gear box alignment issue.

Search this Thread

Old August 2nd, 2020, 7:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 g20 steering gear box alignment issue.

Hello, first post on this forum. I am having an issue with this g20 conversion van I just bought. Basically I can only cut the wheel left 1 full turn, but i can cut to the right about 2 1/2 turns .
it seemed to me that the steering gear box is misaligned with the rest of the steering so the first thing I did was take the pitman arm off the shaft of the gearbox, hoping that I could simply realign the pitman arm by disconnecting it from the shaft, and turn the wheel over to the right to even out the number of turns

Here is where I ran into my problem. The pitman arm and gearbox shaft have 4 square teeth cut into them every 90° designed so they mesh together in the same spot. Also The full range of the gearbox output shaft is about 90° basically I cant realign the pitman arm to the correct spot because of the position of the gear teeth and the range of motion of the gear box .

So my question is, is there another way to adjust the range of my steering that im Not aware of? There may be a very obvious answer to this but I have been fiddling with it for 2 days and can't figure it out. I did this exact thing to a Nissan hardbody and it worked great.

If I am not explaining the problem sufficiently or I need to post pictures I will be happy to explain. Thanks.
Old August 3rd, 2020, 12:36 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 105 Likes on 92 Posts

Is one tie-rod lots longer than the other?
Old August 3rd, 2020, 5:00 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Triaged
Is one tie-rod lots longer than the other?

​​​​I forgot to explain about the tierod alignment . The van tracks down the road fine, both tierods are the same length and correctly adjusted. The way it Is now if I turn the wheel to the right it cuts tires almost sideways it goes so far over.