Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

98 chevy e2500 wont start

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2013 | 4:25 AM
CF Junior Member

Just in general friend. No I know what your getting at but the only other gear he be in if it is a auto or manual would be neutral less hes popping the clutch and that still has to be done from neutral. But I understand what your saying not trying to be rude. Just saying should research on some of it if your not fully sure. But no its not going to be starter if he said it was cranking. Usually if your getting a crank your starter isn't gone. You would if it was the starter as you would hear noises from the starter trying to click in less he totally ripped all the splines off it.
Old May 5th, 2013 | 4:28 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by canucklehead
My point on the gear shift was only and always about the park/neutral switch being either faulty or not engaged. Since this is an Express/ G series van forum, I also assumed it is an auto transmission.
Not sure what it is I'm supposed to have researched.

At any rate, I'm not saying any more until the original poster comments on his issue further.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that. it was cranking fine but to be sure I hooked cables up to it to jump it and it still wouldn't turn over. So you already know its not the starter since he already stated he was cranking.
The other possibilities that would lye in would be could be faulty fuel injection system to bad air/fuel mixtures.
Old May 5th, 2013 | 5:48 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by bdahlka
I bought a 98 chevy 2500 V6 a few months back. It sat in front of my house for a week then I started it up 2 days ago and backed it in the drive. Now it wont start. I never had any issues before it is strange that it quit working after backing it in the driveway. The fuel is kinda low, above the red, but to be safe I added about 4 gallons of gas. Any ideas? What is the easiest things I should check? Thanks in advance

Forgot to mention this but since most the newer vehicles are all pressurized fuel systems you have to have such an amount of fuel in them just to ensure that the fuel pressure is right. You may have lost the pressure in the system or could have a leak. Any or all things you can list will gladly help.
Old May 5th, 2013 | 1:15 PM
CF Veteran

Sorry, I should have mentioned that. it was cranking fine but to be sure I hooked cables up to it to jump it and it still wouldn't turn over.

You see. This is why I'm waiting for the original poster. I read this different than you do. You see it as its cranking but won't start. However, I read it as it WAS cranking but now is not. If it won't turn over, to me that means now it won't crank like it did before.
Since you and I are on different pages here. I need the OP to clarify his problem.
I don't need to research anything here.
Old May 5th, 2013 | 3:27 PM
CF Junior Member

Sorry, I should have mentioned that. it was cranking fine but to be sure I hooked cables up to it to jump it and it still wouldn't turn over.

You see. This is why I'm waiting for the original poster. I read this different than you do. You see it as its cranking but won't start. However, I read it as it WAS cranking but now is not. If it won't turn over, to me that means now it won't crank like it did before.
Since you and I are on different pages here. I need the OP to clarify his problem.
I don't need to research anything here.

<hr style="color:#000000; background-color:#000000" size="1"> Posted earlier

" Sorry, I should have mentioned that. it was cranking fine but to be sure I hooked cables up to it to jump it and it still wouldnt turn over. "

This is what he posted earlier. I agree with you though we need to let the OP to clarify the problem first. Not disagreeing with you either. Just saying from what he is posting it sounds like the starter is fine, doesn't mean I couldn't be wrong though.
Old May 5th, 2013 | 4:20 PM
CF Senior Member

So Brok you are some sort of Chevy Forum authority? I have a pickup truck and if its not in park *all the way* it will not start. Its just something simple to check.
Old May 6th, 2013 | 11:40 AM
CF Beginner

I tried it in neutral and in park before my original post. The car cranks strong sounds like the starter is in good working condition.
Old May 6th, 2013 | 5:01 PM
CF Veteran

Well thank you for clarifying that. You said earlier that it would not turn over, and since we have been going back and forth on what to recommend.
If you have run it really low on gas and now it won't start. It may be the fuel pump. The electric pumps hate running low, and since the fuel in the tank cools them, you shorten their life by running less than a 1/4 tank.
When you turn on the key to the on position before you turn it further to crank it, you should hear the fuel pump run a few seconds to pre-prime the system. If you hear nothing, the pump is seized. To fix that you can get a rubber mallet and bang on the underside of the tank while someone cranks it. this may dislodge the pump and get it running.
Keep in mind that the pump may seize again and you should get it replaced.
If it not the fuel pump...( you hear it running to pre-prime), then it could be spark.
I had worn plugs once that had the spark gap too big. It makes for hard cold starting, that is if its that cold where you are. Take out a pule or two and see if the gap is too wide. Close them up a bit and try again.
Since the van was just running and then quit....I am betting on the fuel pump.
Let me know if this helps.
Old May 6th, 2013 | 5:09 PM
CF Monarch

Well thank you for clarifying that. You said earlier that it would not turn over, and since we have been going back and forth on what to recommend.
If you have run it really low on gas and now it won't start. It may be the fuel pump. The electric pumps hate running low, and since the fuel in the tank cools them, you shorten their life by running less than a 1/4 tank.
When you turn on the key to the on position before you turn it further to crank it, you should hear the fuel pump run a few seconds to pre-prime the system. If you hear nothing, the pump is seized. To fix that you can get a rubber mallet and bang on the underside of the tank while someone cranks it. this may dislodge the pump and get it running.
Keep in mind that the pump may seize again and you should get it replaced.
If it not the fuel pump...( you hear it running to pre-prime), then it could be spark.
I had worn plugs once that had the spark gap too big. It makes for hard cold starting, that is if its that cold where you are. Take out a pule or two and see if the gap is too wide. Close them up a bit and try again.
Since the van was just running and then quit....I am betting on the fuel pump.
Let me know if this helps.
X2 as stated, the gasoline keeps the pump cool. It is hard to determine unless specified won't crank, won't start. Won't crank deals with electrical. Won't start deals with(could be electrical) fuel issues.
Old May 7th, 2013 | 9:46 AM
CF Beginner

I will take a listen, the fuel pump sounds probable. Before replacing I will give it a tap. If this doesn't work I can spray some starting fluid in the intake and it should at least "stumble" like its going to start right? This would tell me its most likely the Fuel system, in particular the pump?

Quick Reply: 98 chevy e2500 wont start