Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Auto to manual swap

Search this Thread

Old February 28th, 2024, 2:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Auto to manual swap

So it's time to replace my 4.3 in my 91 Vandura, I am considering a 4.3 vortec and a manual transmission. What difficulties should I expect to run into and what parts and transmission should I be looking for?
thanks
Old February 28th, 2024, 5:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 653 Likes on 593 Posts

I’m pretty sure that the crankshafts are different
Old February 28th, 2024, 7:39 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
I’m pretty sure that the crankshafts are different
​I'm talking about fitting a new engine and trans. Mounting points might be different, driveshaft length, I don't know. But a manual van with a floor mount shifter would be pretty sweet
Old February 28th, 2024, 8:49 PM
Super Moderator

I understand what you're talking about. I said I'm pretty sure the engines are different depending if you're hooking it up to a manual or automatic, so that's something to keep in mind, since you asked.
The vans haven't had a manual transmission since the 80's (before yours), so you're looking for some old equipment, and likely some custom mounting.
Old February 28th, 2024, 9:02 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
I understand what you're talking about. I said I'm pretty sure the engines are different depending if you're hooking it up to a manual or automatic, so that's something to keep in mind, since you asked.
The vans haven't had a manual transmission since the 80's (before yours), so you're looking for some old equipment, and likely some custom mounting.
Any problem getting a manual engine and trans from a truck? Will a truck engine bolt right into a van?
Old February 28th, 2024, 9:11 PM
Super Moderator

no clue. You are venturing in custom territory which means doing your own measuring and fabbing.

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; February 28th, 2024 at 9:12 PM.
Old February 29th, 2024, 8:18 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

You're going to have to come up with some sort of shifter linkage to have the shifter on the floor. In a truck the engine is up front with the tranny between the front seats. In a van the shifter would come up too far back to be practical.

You'd have to rig up something like a front drive manual has where the stick goes into a shifting mechanism bolted to the floor and transerres the movements to the tranny through cables or rods.
Old February 29th, 2024, 9:58 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Derrick71
You're going to have to come up with some sort of shifter linkage to have the shifter on the floor. In a truck the engine is up front with the tranny between the front seats. In a van the shifter would come up too far back to be practical.

You'd have to rig up something like a front drive manual has where the stick goes into a shifting mechanism bolted to the floor and transerres the movements to the tranny through cables or rods.
Yeah that would be necessary but shouldn't be too difficult. Lot of options available.
Now if I'm going to all that effort, maybe I should just center mount a twin turbo LS and make a GMC super van!

Last edited by gfunkadunk; February 29th, 2024 at 10:03 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Rednucleus (February 29th, 2024)
Old March 1st, 2024, 12:39 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gfunkadunk
Yeah that would be necessary but shouldn't be too difficult. Lot of options available.
Now if I'm going to all that effort, maybe I should just center mount a twin turbo LS and make a GMC super van!

Last edited by Derrick71; March 1st, 2024 at 12:40 PM.