Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Battery shorted now electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old September 6th, 2011, 4:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

polarity of the battery? I have used 2 batteries they are both good and I have checked it twice
Old September 6th, 2011, 4:25 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

do you have a scanner/code reader?
Old September 6th, 2011, 4:37 PM
CF Beginner

Just for the heck of it checked both batteries again. Polarity "check" voltage "check".
Old September 6th, 2011, 4:44 PM
CF Beginner

I don't have a code reader. The ECM could be bad but that would not explain the running lights and headlights are not working and the gauges are flipped out. This is total chaos. It appears to be a short but there is no load on the battery. I can hear a faint humming coming from under the hood toward the passenger side when the battery is connected. It sound like the fuel pump only more quiet and under the hood not near the fuel tank.
Old September 6th, 2011, 5:00 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you for sticking with me so long. I know this is a pain in the neck. I usually know what I am doing but I cannot figure this one out. When I turn on the headlights on the dash lights light up( service engine, anti lock and brake) the service engine stays on but gets dimmer the rest turn off after a few seconds. it also gets dimmer when I turn the headlights off but it stays on. The hum or buzzing seems to come from one of the components on the block near the throttle body. After a few seconds the is a clicking noise and the humming stops. It is almost as if the headlights are acting like the ignition being turned on. Maybe there is a short under the dash. I will try there next.
Old September 6th, 2011, 6:05 PM
CF Monarch

do you have any codes?
Old September 6th, 2011, 6:44 PM
CF Beginner

I do not know how to check for codes without a scanner. Does the ECM on a 95 have LEDs or something to let you know if you have a code or would I need a scanner. I know that everything post 96 can be scanned but most prior to 96 use book referenced LED blink codes or something to that effect. Sorry if my wording or automotive terminology is poor. I am experience with robotic electronics and auto mechanical maintenance but not so much auto electrical systems.
Old September 6th, 2011, 6:53 PM
CF Monarch

If it will run, and I guess not? If you have an autozone parts store or I think NAPA will scan it for you. The code(s) are really important as to what is wrong with it.
Old September 6th, 2011, 7:24 PM
CF Beginner

Nope it wont run. It did run after the short happened. It has become worse. Whatever was weak went completely yesterday when I turned on the headlights. The way it is acting I don't think the scan will work either. Something I am missing must be shorted or shorting out. There is a wire or a part somewhere that is burnt or burning but that does not mean it will be detected by the ECM. I can put it on the trailer, take it to the parts house, and try tomorrow. I assume that it will show multiple codes if any being that the voltage is low everywhere except at at the battery......... It could be a relay I guess. If a relay was acting up it could explain why the dash lights are on when they should be off and why other accessories are off when they should be on. Hmmmmm!
Old September 6th, 2011, 7:50 PM
CF Monarch

ok, basic. Unhook the battery, does the battery voltage hold at 12.5 or so? If so, not the battery. With it hooked up (battery) what is the battery voltage without trying to start, and does it drop over time?

Quick Reply: Battery shorted now electrical problems