Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Bilstein for my VAN

Search this Thread

Old October 30th, 2018, 12:23 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bilstein for my VAN

All,

So I have read so much reviews (both, good and bad) that now I do not know what to do. My van is only a travel passenger van (as my ID says) so at the most 5 people are on it. But I feel every single dent or road imperfection. So I decide to replace the shocks it has with newer "passenger friendly". Are the Bilstein 4600 a good option?
Old October 30th, 2018, 1:24 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have Bilsteins but I did replace all my shocks with KYB Gas-Adjust. My old shocks were shot. Its a night and day difference. After rebate I paid around 120 for all 4 shocks.
Old October 30th, 2018, 1:26 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by silent_20
I don't have Bilsteins but I did replace all my shocks with KYB Gas-Adjust. My old shocks were shot. Its a night and day difference. After rebate I paid around 120 for all 4 shocks.
Where!!!

Yes, KYB were also mentioned, but no definitive answer on KYB over Bilstein. Some say go, other say they are trash.

So complicated.
Old October 30th, 2018, 1:37 PM
CF Junior Member

I bought the shocks at Advange Auto Store after price matching them to Rockauto.com. The rebate ended on September 30 https://www.kyb.com/save. I have never used Bilstein and I'm guessing that they might be better than KYB but it was too much of a price deference. Before I replace the shocks the van felt like a bus driving on a bridge, now it feels like I'm driving a med SUV.
Old October 30th, 2018, 1:42 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by silent_20
I bought the shocks at Advange Auto Store after price matching them to Rockauto.com. The rebate ended on September 30 https://www.kyb.com/save. I have never used Bilstein and I'm guessing that they might be better than KYB but it was too much of a price deference. Before I replace the shocks the van felt like a bus driving on a bridge, now it feels like I'm driving a med SUV.
Ahh thats a great feedback. "feels like a med SUV".. thats what I was looking for.

Again, my van is for road traveling, with actually no load (only whats in the conversion van, and the 5 passengers). so I need to focus in confort.
Old October 30th, 2018, 2:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I got RideTechs by Fox Racing. All I can say is "Wife Approved". I couldn't take the stiff stock shocks.
Old October 30th, 2018, 2:57 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by StanVan
I got RideTechs by Fox Racing. All I can say is "Wife Approved". I couldn't take the stiff stock shocks.
Never heard of them, I will look for specs. thanks, what model number? cant find something for my 01 express?

Last edited by GeneveConversionVan; October 30th, 2018 at 3:00 PM.
Old October 30th, 2018, 3:50 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

GeneveConversionVan,

Here's a link to the RideTechs on eBay... I haven't purchased a set, so I can't speak for them, but I've been watching them on eBay because of StanVan's recommendation...

https://www.ebay.com/p/2015-GMC-Sava...3845847&thm=10
Old October 31st, 2018, 11:25 AM
CF Active Member

Great thanks!

So, I was wondering, if the bilsteins are like 3 times the price for a KYB, what do I get? three times the comfort? reliability? durability?
Old October 31st, 2018, 11:32 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by GeneveConversionVan
Great thanks!

So, I was wondering, if the bilsteins are like 3 times the price for a KYB, what do I get? three times the comfort? reliability? durability?
I don't think so. I think the KYB ride great. I have a newborn and I had to drive extra careful when I had the original shocks. Now I drive normal. My Van is a 2015 2500 Passenger regular wheelbase rideshare conversion.