Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Bought a beautiful Express conversion van, but realized it has some rust underneath

Search this Thread

Old February 25th, 2021, 3:53 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Depends where you live. If they salt the roads, undercoat it. If they don't or you don't drive it in the salt, probably no need.

Here in NY I would get it coated.
The following users liked this post:
Sean Rothar (February 25th, 2021)
Old February 25th, 2021, 6:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would avoid ziebart like the plague. I agree with Eric O. on the South Main Auto channel on youtube, have a company spray the undercarriage with fluid film or krown or a similar undercoating yearly.

Sean Rothar (February 25th, 2021)
Old February 25th, 2021, 6:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by William Kisselstein
Depends where you live. If they salt the roads, undercoat it. If they don't or you don't drive it in the salt, probably no need.

Here in NY I would get it coated.
William, thanks

I am in Boston, so I'm going to strongly consider it
Old February 25th, 2021, 7:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by evsnova74
I would avoid ziebart like the plague. I agree with Eric O. on the South Main Auto channel on youtube, have a company spray the undercarriage with fluid film or krown or a similar undercoating yearly.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=wSg0yvwcbXA
Really good Q&A

Watching the installation now - Eric is great

Thank you
Old February 25th, 2021, 8:25 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Oh yes, in Boston, coat the hell out of it, remove the plastic plugs under the body lip and clean out inside and have coated in there too. Take the door panels off the rear and side doors and have the bottom 12" of the inside of those coated. IIRC MA fails your inspection for rust holes in the body.

I have to say the 03-up seem to have better factory rustproofing than the older ones do. But the frame itself can rot in them. That rear spring perch I have seen with holes in them, too.
Sean Rothar (February 26th, 2021)
Old September 25th, 2023, 10:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What's up you all, I Thought I'd check into this forum and give you an update on my van.

The van looks the same as the picture. I haven't driven it all that much since I bought it 3.5 years ago. I've put about 5 thousand miles on it. I've had no issues at all. It did shift a little hard from first to 2nd gear. It could be a solenoid in the transmission I've read. My mechanic did a tranny fluid/filter change. He also added Lucas treatment to it. It seems to have smoothed out a bit.

I sure wish I could put a lift kit on this van and some bigger tires, but then it wouldn't fit in the garage. I'd have to park it in the driveway which my mom isn't crazy about. Anyway the van stays nicer and is certainly safer in the garage.

Last edited by lovevans; September 26th, 2023 at 2:41 PM.
RoadTrip (September 26th, 2023)