Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Brake boot tip?

Search this Thread

Old July 28th, 2021, 2:29 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Brake boot tip?

Replacing all the brakes on my 2005 2500, ran into what should be a simple thing to address. I must be missing something obvious (I do that all too often). Any pointers?

Issue is the rubber boots on the pistons. I checked the refurb brakes I bought and sure enough, they weren't greased worth a snot. Fronts were easy with that plastic ring holding the boots in place. The rears are a different story, I can't get the outer ring to secure in the caliper. I found a bit describing getting air vented out of the boot when installing, no luck there, the darn thing just isn't going in. Tried using a thin-ended tool from an interior maintenance tool, no luck. Fingers, no luck.
??
Old July 29th, 2021, 2:31 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah ha. Second duckduck search finally showed a useful youtube:

In short, have the boot on the piston towards the back so the bits that mount in the caliper are hanging off the edge, with the front portion extended. Then insert the boot/piston, starting with the bottom and get the back in place, carefully to keep the front from sliding around. Then insert piston.

First try, boom, done. Second, got it after some cussing.