Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Cruise Control Retrofit / Steering Wheel Questions

Search this Thread

Old November 23rd, 2023, 1:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 658 Likes on 597 Posts

I doubt the dealer will reprogram it for you, and I doubt an aftermarket stereo will respond to the buttons.
Old November 23rd, 2023, 4:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I should beep out the steering wheel and the harness underneath the steering wheel when I have a chance, but I'm not even sure if they are simple switches or using a more sophisticated communication method.
Old November 23rd, 2023, 8:50 AM
CF Active Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default steering wheel

Originally Posted by Mian
I should beep out the steering wheel and the harness underneath the steering wheel when I have a chance, but I'm not even sure if they are simple switches or using a more sophisticated communication method.
my truck is an 08 basline truck.i bought the steering wheel off rock auto.dont remember if it came with the internal harness or if i bought it off gmpartsgiant.com.i installed everything and the cruise worked without reprogramming.i install an aftermarket radio and had to buy an axxess module for the buttons to respond.now everything works and i didnt need to bring it to the dealer.now i cant speak for newer trucks .good luck!!!
The following users liked this post:
Triaged (November 23rd, 2023)
Old November 23rd, 2023, 2:02 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jhengleman@gmail.com
Hello, I own a 2012 express 3500 cut away. It does not have cruise control or radio controls. I have an aftermarket radio. Can I successfully put the steering wheel that has cruise control and radio controls on it and get the dealer to make the cruise control work and then make the radio controls work also? Thanks, John
I was able to successfully do this on my 2013 express 2500, a junkyard OEM steering wheel with cruise control + radio controls, an aftermarket stereo and several adapters (Axxess GMOS-LAN-01, Axxess ASWC-1). Not all the buttons work, but the important ones do (volume, next/previous song).

I had to give the dealer the part number of the regular cruise control only steering wheel. When I gave them the correct (cruise control + audio control steering wheel) part number, they weren't able to reprogram it. My dealer charged me an hour of labor to reprogram the BCM ($170).

I never tried the audio controls before the BCM was reprogrammed, but I suspect they might have worked.
The following users liked this post:
mountainmanjoe (November 23rd, 2023)