Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Dealer says new ENGINE!!

Search this Thread

Old October 25th, 2006, 1:59 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer says new ENGINE!!

I have a few questions about it but I am not sure how it works around here so I will post my question here.

The engine has 56006 miles. last Friday I drained the oil and removed the oil filter. I let it drain while I went over to the auto parts store to buy oil (in another car).

I loaded it back up with Mobil 1 5-w30. I put 5 quarts in. 2 days later on monday right when I started the van up the engine was shaking and knocking like CRAZY. I turned it off almost right away. I opened the hood to check if maybe a belt had flown off. I saw nothing out of the ordinary. I checked the dip stick and it was full of clean new oil. I started it up again and the knocking was still there but it wasnt as violent, I decided to take it straight to the dealer because they are the closest to me. This morning they call me up and tell me that my vans engine needs to be replaced because it is a problem very deep inside the engine.

I messed up and told them that the last thing I did was change the oil. They told me that the problem was caused by lack of lubrication. A broken main bearing or a rod or something like that and that they will not open the motor to look for the cause because it is too much work and that a new motor is the best solution (it is cheaper in labor and parts to swap a motor than it is to rebuild it) we are talking 7000 dollars!!!!!!

I drove the van there about 2 miles from the house and it could not accelerate, also the oil pressure was higher than normal and when I would press the gas it would climb even more.

I asked them if maybe I put too much oil?? and he said that too much oil would have not caused this, too little or no oil caused it.

There is no way that I drove with no oil. the only driving I did after I changed the oil was striaght to them after hearing the violent knocking. The truck has 56006 miles and would run great up to that point.

If anyone has any ideas I thank you in advance.
Old November 16th, 2006, 6:46 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Dealer says new ENGINE!!

take it to an independent mechanic...not the dealership. that sounds like a scam. get it diagnosed at a local shop that's not affiliated with any car company. get a few other opinions than just that of the dealership. Good luck.
Old November 29th, 2006, 7:19 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Dealer says new ENGINE!!

hey i have a similar problem i have a 99 chevy express 1500 4.3 vortec and it has about 139500 now but when the clicking and knocking and pinging in the engine started i had about 118000 approx. i took my van over to the transmission shop that i had recently got my transmission rebuilt at. and they said that there was a pinging or a bearing loose deep in side the motor and they couldn't fix it, it wasn't worth taking it apart because of the amount of miles they said to buy a new engine or get a salvaged one do you guys have any suggestions about it? at first a bunch of people said it was the catalytic converter but then i got a new one plus i have dual exhaust out the back. then they said it might have been valves or something . then they said its something really deep in the engine which i think is bull****.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 11:49 PM
CF Beginner

Try to locate where the sound is comming from then prosed to fixing it my 2003 was makeing a awful clacking sound located where it was comming frome pulled the valve cove turned out to be a brokin valve spring
Old June 4th, 2010, 6:46 AM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

original post is extremly old
Old June 10th, 2010, 8:58 AM
CF Beginner

I had a recent noise as well was a bent valve lots of clatterin more high piched noise the rod or crank will have a deeper tone to it. I changed the motor bought a remanufactured for a grand plus core and installed it myself. Local shops wanted 3,500 to 5,500 depending on warranty good luck. I had the 5.7 vin R 2000 express 3500
Old November 5th, 2010, 10:48 AM
CF Beginner

i have a 2005 express 3500 6.0 engine and at 317,000 miles, the lifters are noisy below 50 mph. runs well at 50 mph or over. am saving to buy a surplus engine or refurbished gm engine. did my oil change every 3500 miles at chevy dealers across southern california. body is a cut-away (14-foot box) - makes it easy to load and unload standing upright (unlike cargo van body where you are crouching). gvw is 6500 but suspensions set to carry 6000 lbs. although i often load 6500 to 7000 lbs of new car tires for delivery to car dealers. never had a problema going thru the weighing scale chp checkpoints. will look for band-aid solution to this noisy lifter problem.