Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Dish Network Vans consider this about speed limiter!

Search this Thread

Old September 3rd, 2021, 5:10 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dish Network Vans consider this about speed limiter!

I purchased a 2012 Chevy Express 2500 Dish Network Van from a dealer (who got it from auction) last winter and have been converting it to a camper van. Love the van EXCEPT: it has a program installed on it's computer that gives improved fuel economy (good!) but has a speed limiter set at 71 mph (BAD). This is horrible for trying to pass trucks on busy rolling interstates.
I have confirmed that the program is from the "Derives" company and is installed on many (but not all) Dish network vans, nationwide. A Derives company rep told me they will not perform any removal of all or any part of their program. They said a dealer can remove it. The problem is - the only way it can be removed is by replacing the computer in the van. Dealer tried to re-flash the computer to factory settings and the computer would not allow it.
I just wanted people to be aware of this issue if they are considering buying a retired Dish Network van.

Last edited by dankellyweir; September 3rd, 2021 at 5:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
davinmaximus (September 10th, 2021)
Old September 16th, 2021, 11:03 AM
CF Active Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is incorrect. Speed limiter can easily be removed. Many fleet vehicles have this option - AT&T, Penske etc. I've done it before. Go to a different dealer.
mountainmanjoe (September 18th, 2021)
Old September 16th, 2021, 7:31 PM
CF Junior Member

I am well aware that many vehicles have speed limiters that are easily removed, including Chevy Express and including OTHER Dish network Chevy Express Vans but all of those DO NOT have the "DERIVES" third party program installed on them. This program is installed on only SOME fleet vehicles. The DERIVES company rep has told me that there is no way to selectively remove the speed limiter, only the entire program. Before I received that info from Derives I had my local Chevy Dealer try to remove the speed limiter - thinking it was the standard set-up. They said some unknown third party program controls that and would not allow access.
I then had a well respected auto computer tech that all of the smaller repair shops within a 75 mile radius use and when he hooked up his equipment he confirmed it. I asked him to remove the program completely and re-flash to stock and he said it would not allow it.
It is not the simple "turn it off" process that is used on the standard fleet vehicle that is not equipped (infected!) with the "Derives" program
Old September 16th, 2021, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 667 Likes on 605 Posts

I find this hard to believe
Old September 17th, 2021, 5:07 AM
CF Junior Member

Yeah - so did I and I wish it were not true. My intent of posting this information was to help people - it's not some conspiracy. Take it or leave it.
Old September 17th, 2021, 4:36 PM
CF Active Member

Whatever "Derive Systems" has installed on your van must be removable. If the ECM refuses to accept reprogramming, buy a used ECM off eBay or car-part.com and have the dealer program it (if you have emission testing where you live you'd need correct VIN firmware programmed in) (and then CKP variation, throttle learn, theft deterrent programming all need to be done) Or any independent shop that owns a GM MDI or another J2534 tool can do it. I know I can do it with my chinese clone MDI I bought off eBay for $300 many years ago. You would also need ato purchase a $40 vin subscription at Acdelcotds.com to use with the MDI.
Old September 18th, 2021, 7:19 AM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for that info - it's looking like some variation of that plan is what I'll do.
There are many companies online that advertise "plug and play" re-built units (using my vin info) but reviews are extremely mixed - what seems to be the consensus is that it's a 50-50 chance of working as stated.
I'd really like to find one of these companies that could completely wipe the ecm, then start fresh, like can be done on a home PC. I've sent detailed inquiries to many of those companies about that but the few replies I get are the canned "yeah - we can re-flash that" type.
There's no emissions testing where I am - would that be the only reason I'd need to have a matching vin on the ecm?
I'd rather keep my original ecm if possible because I know nothings wrong with it other than the offending program installed on it.
I'm not in a huge hurry as the van runs fine but I want to change it before any more road trips. I keep hoping I'll run into some hacker that can get inside the DERIVES program and just turn off the speed limiter portion. Extremely unlikely I know but would be great to keep the 20 MPG on the highway that I got with about 3/4 load a few months ago. It appears that much of the programs effectiveness relies on keeping the rpms very low. A little sluggish and shifts too early but I could live with that!
Old September 18th, 2021, 12:05 PM
CF Active Member

Look under the steering column and behind the OBD port. Sometimes you will find an OBD splitter, follow the wires and there might be some sort of a fleet monitoring gadget installed. Disconnect it from the OBD. It might as well be something like that, and perhaps the dealer didn't tell you out of a liability concern.