Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Driver's side "oh-$h!t-handle"?

Search this Thread

Old December 10th, 2019, 1:20 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 105 Likes on 92 Posts
Default Driver's side "oh-$h!t-handle"?

I just got a 2015 Express Passenger LS. It has a "assist handle" on the passenger's side but not the driver's. Does anyone have the part number for the driver's side assist handle like in the pic below?

Old December 10th, 2019, 1:58 AM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

I've never seen one in the wild, but if it exists then the online GM OEM part dealers should list it.

Personally, I use the steering wheel as my assist handle.
Old December 10th, 2019, 2:05 AM
CF Senior Member

I tried gmpartsdirect and couldn't find it. Is there someplace else? We have a 2019 at work. I wonder if they just put them on cargo vans?

As for using the steering wheel I have had bad problems on old GM tilt columns and am apprehensive about using it to get in
Old December 10th, 2019, 7:28 AM
CF Monarch

Received 363 Likes on 344 Posts

Try the junk yards.
Old December 10th, 2019, 2:55 PM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by oldchevy
Try the junk yards.
I found a 2017 at a yard on car-part.com. They said they had it. I'll post pics when I get it and see if there is a part number on it.
Old December 10th, 2019, 8:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 512 Likes on 472 Posts

isn't the handle screwed into a welded bracket? the bracket won't be on the other side.
Old December 11th, 2019, 7:51 AM
CF Senior Member

I guess I'll find out shortly if it needs any brackets. I do have a welder. Is the A-pillar high strength steel? Any worry welding to it?
Old December 11th, 2019, 8:53 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Triaged
I guess I'll find out shortly if it needs any brackets. I do have a welder. Is the A-pillar high strength steel? Any worry welding to it?
Hi, did you look at your van, the A-Pillars?

I found the handle.

And garnish molding for the passenger side.

But the driver's side has no provision for a handle.

The photo in your post does not look real, I think it is some type of rendition.

Tech2 is right, the handle is mounted to some kind of clips welded to the A-Pillar that's not installed on the driver's side.

So without the proper driver's side garnish molding, I think you are out of luck.

Old December 11th, 2019, 9:52 AM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Twscarp
The photo in your post does not look real, I think it is some type of rendition.
The picture I posted might be computer generated but I have seen the handle in person on a cargo van at work. It is either a 2018 or 2019. There aren't many pictures of it online. I'll have to look into what RPO code gets you the handle. Driver at work said he uses the handle all the time to get in.
Old December 11th, 2019, 10:05 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Triaged
The picture I posted might be computer generated but I have seen the handle in person on a cargo van at work. It is either a 2018 or 2019. There aren't many pictures of it online. I'll have to look into what RPO code gets you the handle. Driver at work said he uses the handle all the time to get in.
Hi, please try to get a photo of the passenger and driver's side assist handle on your work van, and post it, and the exact year, thank you.

Quick Reply: Driver's side "oh-$h!t-handle"?