Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

ECM problem on 2013 Chevy Express van?

Search this Thread

Old April 14th, 2022, 7:38 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECM problem on 2013 Chevy Express van?

Hi, I am new to the forums and I’m posting this message in desperation. We purchased a Chevy Express 1500 van from a used car dealer and there has been one problem after the other from the start. At first the dealer had their mechanic fix a couple of sensors that got us through inspection and all was fine for a year or so.

But then, for no apparent reason, and only once in a while, I start the van, and a message comes on saying “engine power is reduced” and a “service Stabilitrak” message would appear. I found that if I let it run for about 15 minutes and then let it rest for 15 minutes, all would be well again! A complete mystery why and when it happens.

Two mechanics worked on the van. One changed the throttle body and the other put in a new battery. Neither of these things solved the problem.

Now I’m being told that the ECM might have to be changed, but it could be this, that and the other, etc., adding up to thousands of dollars in diagnostics and labor charges if a GM dealer does the work. I found an ECM on carparts.com for $155 and the GM dealer is talking more like $500-$1000 for that part “if we can get it.” Either they don’t make them any more or it’s on back order because of the chip shortage. And I’m told that only a GM dealer can program the ECM.

We are a retired couple and can afford things within reason, but we feel like we’ve been given the runaround. It’s a great van that we have started turning into a camper, and already have installed a roof vent, solar panel, floor, soundproofing, etc., so we are looking for a way to fix this computer problem. If anybody here is a capable mechanic and has other suggestions, please let us know! We have also been known to host people who want to do work in exchange for accommodations.

Old April 14th, 2022, 8:09 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Give this a watch. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qVCklDoXbHA
Old April 14th, 2022, 9:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 667 Likes on 605 Posts

Nice build!
Is that silvery stuff to reduce noise? Did it work?

Originally Posted by hippiemusic
a message comes on saying “engine power is reduced” and a “service Stabilitrak” message would appear. ... A complete mystery why and when it happens.
These are very generic warnings which can have many different causes.
It could be failed sensor, failed computer, or just poor wiring connection. It could be as simple a faulty fuse. Check your work in case you disturbed something while laying the mat.
You need to have a vehicle diagnosed with a high level scanner, and pull the trouble codes to determine how to proceed.

And I’m told that only a GM dealer can program the ECM.
That's a lie. Anybody with the proper tools can do it.

we feel like we’ve been given the runaround.
Unfortunately there's no shortage of incompetence out there.
Find a trusted, experienced mechanic who specializes in auto electronics and diagnostics. (not a general mechanic). And make sure he can program modules in house. Yes it will be expensive, but you will get RESULTS.
Old April 14th, 2022, 9:36 AM
CF Beginner

Thank you for your feedback! Yes, the Killmat does wonders for noise reduction. It’s a Russian product so I have no idea if it is still available. We used sheeps wool on top of it for insulation before we installed the floor.

There were multiple scans done and we got these codes:
P0455
P2135
P219A
CO242

In the past, we addressed each code and fixed it but then others appear. It’s like playing whack-a-mole.

It’s our heartfelt wish that we find a competent and honest mechanic!
Old April 15th, 2022, 1:48 PM
Super Moderator

Throttle position sensors should be checked using this procedure
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-dtc-p2135.pdf

P0455 Large EVAP leak
Smoke test is performed to find the leak

could be related
https://www.obd-codes.com/p219a

In the past, we addressed each code and fixed it
Please describe what you did.

Old April 19th, 2022, 6:11 PM
CF Beginner

All I know is that there was a sensor replaced in order to get it through emissions inspection, the throttle body was replaced due to another code, and the battery was replaced in case a weak battery was a problem. I also get a message that says the gas cap is loose when it isn’t. I’m searching for a person in northwest Jersey who has the right equipment to diagnose this. If anyone has any contacts, please send me a direct message. I’d even consider doing a road trip within a 500 mile radius LOL 😂
Old April 19th, 2022, 6:57 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

https://m.youtube.com/c/SouthMainAutoRepairAvoca/about
The following users liked this post:
hippiemusic (April 21st, 2022)
Old April 19th, 2022, 8:15 PM
Super Moderator

I also get a message that says the gas cap is loose when it isn’t.
try replacing it
Old April 20th, 2022, 8:17 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

If the gas cap's not loose then there's an evap system leak somewhere. Which also fits with the P0455 code.

Did you run any screws through the van metal floorpan when installing your floor, in the area of the tank filler or anywhere on the left side of the van? Maybe you ran one into an evap line.
Old April 21st, 2022, 7:53 AM
CF Beginner

Thank you for your feedback about the gas cap issue.

No, we did not think it was a good idea to run any metal screws into the floor. We glued the floor boards down with liquid nails and weighted them with cinder blocks until completely dry. The idea was to screw the flooring to the floor boards without putting any holes in the metal floor of the van.

However, as this van was a flower truck, there was a rear fan/AC unit that a mechanic removed and capped for us; it left a hole in the floor that we closed up. I would be surprised if he didn’t do if properly, but I guess anything’s possible. 😜

Quick Reply: ECM problem on 2013 Chevy Express van?