Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

EGR Bleed Solenoid

Search this Thread

Old June 17th, 2015, 10:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice to see one with air conditioning......did you upgrade the 5x7 speakers in the dash while it was off?.....lol
Old June 18th, 2015, 6:26 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol... no not yet, i know the dash so well, it would only take 30 minutes to put them in.

I picked up my vacuum switch last night. Funny how the switch was 20$ but the pigtail was $30.

When i rebuilt the motor i changed out the condensor and heater core since everything was easy to get to. Im hoping to have the A/C going by August. I had a leak in the r12 system and since i didnt know where it was at, I decided to replace everything. I had already pulled a rear unit from 2005 van at the junkyard earlier in the year, so everything will be fairly up to date.

I did manage to get it together enough to drive it to the pump for some gas. Im hoping after tonight I can start driving to break the motor in.
Old September 4th, 2018, 12:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello world,

I would start a new post about this, but the current thread is almost right on point.

I've been restoring a 1983 G20 for years, piece by piece. I finally got serious about fixing the engine control systems about a year ago. Many of the vacuum lines had gone soft or disintegrated, so I ran new lines all around.

The EGR bleed solenoid is the only outstanding problem. I cannot find it, or any evidence that it might have existed, but it is clearly indicated in the vacuum diagram, and I know the EGR has to bleed somehow.

The only thing I found in there, dangling at the end of a broken vacuum line, was a small white cylinder with 3 ports, about as big around as a nickel. It's not a check or delay valve- all those were accounted for. By process of elimination I have to assume this little device is some kind of analog pressure-differential EGR bleed valve. I cannot find a picture or any information whatsoever about this little guy, and certainly no clear information about what I should expect to find... the G-series seems to have a period of very poor literature in which they were rapidly changing the engine controls and such.

Anyway, I broke a terminal off the little white cylinder, so now I have to find an alternative.

My question: has anybody seen this thing before? ... or maybe, has anybody already come up with a way to upgrade the 1983 to a more modern EGR bleed control? I don't see wires for an electronic solenoid, but I haven't dug into my ECU yet to figure out if they exist or not.

I'm going to pressure test the device to figure out its function, and I can post the results and a picture of it later. I have ordered the 1983 light truck shop manual to see if I can glean any more info about it. I will post here if I find a solution. In the meanwhile, would be great to hear from the community at large.