Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

G-20 Not Shifting into 3rd Gear

Search this Thread

Old October 24th, 2011, 1:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default G-20 Not Shifting into 3rd Gear

Ok, so I've got a '95 G-20 that's been feeling a little slippy. I checked the Tran fluid but it's reallt hard to tell where exactly it's filled to... It was looking a little dry at first, so I added a quart. Now the stick is streaking up one side and the other is still hard to tell. I took it for a quick run and it seems to go from 1st to 2nd without a problem, but then it revs high when reaching 3rd. I let off the accelerator and ease back into it and it seems alright... problem is, I'm still not sure if I'm in 3rd or not, but I still can't seem to go over 45 easily.

Anyone have any suggestions? I was reading about maybe a clogged filter, but I wasn't sure where it would be located. Withing the pan maybe? I just didn't want to go extreme without trying anything easier first. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
Elisia Friedman (January 29th, 2023)
Old October 24th, 2011, 2:40 PM
CF Beginner

OK, apparently I have 1st, 2nd and neutral. I just took it for another run and it shifted from 1st to 2nd, and then just reved in neutral. I'm really hoping that I don't have to go into the transmission, but it's not looking good. Any suggestions? The owner's manual doesn't elaborate much on this topic.

Thanks!

Last edited by blackwhiskeyblaze; October 24th, 2011 at 2:58 PM.
Old October 24th, 2011, 6:31 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many miles do you have? Has the fluid and filter ever been changed? I would start by adding more fluid until you can read it on the stick. If that doesn't do it go for a trans tune up.
Old October 29th, 2011, 8:17 PM
CF Beginner

OK, so I've did some research and meanwhile driving around with only 1st and 2nd gear... I was told that if the filter was clogged in any way that it wouldn't be shifting at all. So with my head focused on the worst case scenareo, I planned on purchasing a new old tranny from someone. And with a little luck, I found what I think may fit... It was removed from a 1995 Chevy S-10 My question is if this thing would fit or not? and if there are any part numbers or something to look for to know ahead of time if it would replace correctly? What do I look for and how do I know?

Thanks for the help!
Old October 30th, 2011, 5:29 PM
CF Beginner

I towed a race car rig all around the Midwest back in the late 80's to mid 90's in my G-20. It too developed tranny problems, nothing serious but jerky shifting, late shifts, etc... I took it to a place that did the tranny fluid flush/filter thing. They reverse flush and run the fluid through a machine. It cost me $100 at the time (8-9 years ago?) but it worked wonders and was very simple. The van had about 120K miles on it at the time. I believe several of the quick lube chain-stores still do this.

Can't help you with the truck tranny - swap question.
The following users liked this post:
Elisia Friedman (January 29th, 2023)