Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

G Series van passenger window will not roll down

Search this Thread

Old September 2nd, 2019, 9:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default G Series van passenger window will not roll down

Hi All,

Any ideas? I's a 1992 van. When I activate the passenger window switch either from the driver side of or passenger side I only hear a very muffled tick. So it seems the switch and wiring may be OK. Does it seem more likely the motor is bad?

Thanks much for your help.
Old September 2nd, 2019, 11:30 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like the motor to me.
Old September 3rd, 2019, 3:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

Sometimes it's a poor switch connection. They are rather exposed to the elements and dirt so they get grimy and oxidized.
Old September 3rd, 2019, 3:58 PM
CF Beginner

I'm thinking motor as well. I do hear that dull tick or thud when I activate either the driver of passenger window switch. I'm assuming the switches are good for that reason. Is there a good video showing motor replacement? I was a little surprised I didn't find much since there are a zillion of these vans on the road.

Thanks much
Old September 3rd, 2019, 4:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by 73gitane
I do hear that dull tick or thud ... I'm assuming the switches are good for that reason.
That's not an accurate assumption. The switch might work, but poorly. If the the contact resistance is too high, then the solenoid is not energizing enough to develop full force. I'm not making this up. It happened to me. In fact, I would suspect the switch before the solenoid because that's the part that interfaces the human. The solenoid is fairly simple device that usually works or doesn't. Unless the connected rods and links are gummed up, there's not really an in between.

Let us know how it goes.
Old September 3rd, 2019, 5:06 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you mountainmanjoe, well noted. The switch is cheap enough to replace. I'll try shorting the wire harness to duplicate the action of the switch and see if the window will roll.

This is a conversion van and the switch has a collar on it to anchor it to the door. Collar is probably a poor word to choose to describe it. I'll snap a picture of it later tonight. It looks like the switch will only float in the hole in the door without this collar. Any way I destroyed the collar when removing the switch so that will need to be replaced as well. Does any this make sense? I need to find a replacement. I may check with the local dealer but I figured they may not know what I'm talking about since I think only the conversions used it. There I go again making assumptions:^)
Old September 3rd, 2019, 5:18 PM
CF Active Member

I'll post what clymer says about it when I get a chance. At work presently. Already changed the motor on my motor because of same issue.
Old September 3rd, 2019, 7:32 PM
CF Beginner

OK, I just removed both window switches and then was able to connect 12V and ground to the points on the wiring harnes that connects to the window motor. By reversing these connections I was able to roll the driver window up and down. When the window was fully up or down I would get a hum which I guess is normal since there is something going on with all the normal connections to sense when travel is complete and to shut power off and not stress the motor.

Now on the the faulty passenger window. When I connect power I can not roll down the window regardless of the polarity used. All I get is the hum I experienced on the driver side.

With the switches out of the picture I'm thinking the problem is with the motor.
Old September 3rd, 2019, 7:53 PM
CF Beginner

Here is a snapshot of the collar I was talking about earlier. Aer nyone know where to purchase it? Once I get the window working again I'll need a couple of these to put it all back together again.

Old September 3rd, 2019, 11:23 PM
CF Active Member

Window removal isn't necessary, just tape in fully closed position so it doesn't drop while removing/installing regulator and motor. If the repair hasn't been done before, expect to drill/grind some rivets. 3 if I remember correctly. Don't know of anywhere to get the switch parts except in a bone yard, dealership if they're not discoed. Good luck and take your time. Smashed fingers are no fun.

Quick Reply: G Series van passenger window will not roll down