Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

G20 Broken bolt upper control arm pivot shaft

Search this Thread

Old December 31st, 2021, 7:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default G20 Broken bolt upper control arm pivot shaft

Any advice on replacing this bolt for my 88 G20

Any suggestions?
Old January 1st, 2022, 10:17 AM
CF Active Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I would say plenty of PB Blaster and vise grips or a small pipe wrench with a small pipe as a persuader
Old January 1st, 2022, 12:46 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by bearbait
I would say plenty of PB Blaster and vise grips or a small pipe wrench with a small pipe as a persuader
Are you saying i can back those bolts out without removing the bracket? I’m wondering if i need to cut those rivet heads off at the bottom to release bracket?
Old January 1st, 2022, 2:22 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Hard to say without seeing the back of it.

I think you can drop the entire crossmember out of these, will that get you to the back side without removing the rivets?
Old January 1st, 2022, 2:26 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by William Kisselstein
Hard to say without seeing the back of it.

I think you can drop the entire crossmember out of these, will that get you to the back side without removing the rivets?
Possibly. I’ll crawl under and look. To do that i would need to get a spring compressor and disable more of the front end?
Old January 9th, 2022, 4:58 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

No, but you'd have to take the other side apart, drop the whole works down, and then you should be able to access the back side of it. You may need to get a body manual and see if that shows how this comes apart.

With the upper ball joint usually they're riveted and when you replace you grind them out and put bolts on. So you could probably replace these rivets with bolts too, but you're going to have to check if you can even access the back of them to install bolts.
The following users liked this post:
dugreid@gmail.com (January 9th, 2022)
Old January 9th, 2022, 11:22 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by William Kisselstein
No, but you'd have to take the other side apart, drop the whole works down, and then you should be able to access the back side of it. You may need to get a body manual and see if that shows how this comes apart.

With the upper ball joint usually they're riveted and when you replace you grind them out and put bolts on. So you could probably replace these rivets with bolts too, but you're going to have to check if you can even access the back of them to install bolts.
Thank you so much. That was my next attack plan. I really want my van back on the road. I’ve been fixing up other cars and trucks just so i can borrow them to get around and haven’t had time to touch my van. I did try a cold chisel on the rivets and they definitely seem soft enough to grind out pretty easy. a little worried on the clearance underneath but thinking i can cut a square to put rounded carriage bolt and nut on top. Hoping i’m back at it this week at some point.
Old January 22nd, 2022, 6:47 PM
CF Beginner

Finally got bracket and bolts out. Now to find new bolts. Any idea where?
Rednucleus (January 22nd, 2022)
Old January 23rd, 2022, 11:12 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

That sure looks a lot like a wheel stud. Some time digging through what NAPA has for something close?

Edit: ARP makes some longer than normal studs.
https://arp-bolts.com/kits/product.php?PL=55

Last edited by Triaged; January 23rd, 2022 at 11:16 AM.
Rednucleus (January 23rd, 2022)
Old June 18th, 2022, 6:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spacers

I just had the same thing happen! I was able to fix it but have all of these weird spacers. They sit on the stud/bolt that broke in between the pivot shaft and the bracket/plate that the bolt comes through. Are these spacers for some part of the alignment? It seems like the alignment is definitely off. Most of them had already fallen out when I was taking it apart thankfully they were still sitting in that bracket but I’m not sure how many to put on Either bolt.

Quick Reply: G20 Broken bolt upper control arm pivot shaft