Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

help please

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2021, 12:41 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help please

Okay so I bought this van like 3 weeks ago and it runs perfect got to a job site the other day and when we got ready to leave the van will not start I started checking the fuses and noticed that under the dash was a wiring nightmare they had put an alarm in it at some point in time before I bought it and there was things unhooked and wires running ever were at some point they had put to kill switches and a push button to start the vehicle now I cannot get it to start for anyting please help I bought a Haynes manual online and cannot find the proper wiring diagrams there's wires running back to the fuel pump that has been rigged up at some point there's two or three of them that are not connected anything just hanging down and I don't know what goes where anybody please helpn
Old May 29th, 2021, 7:01 AM
CF Monarch

Received 362 Likes on 343 Posts

If these wires were hanging down before when it was running then this is not your problem. First determine if your problem is fuel related or electrical? Are you getting spark? If you are not getting spark then it will be hard to find the problem considering the wiring mess you have. It could be the alarm is disabling the spark. Good Luck!!
Old June 1st, 2021, 12:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

There are several possibilities for which wires were tapped into for the alarm, especially when it comes to aftermarket systems. They all have to bypass or integrate the factory systems somehow but there’s no way of knowing without a wiring diagram from the maker of the alarm system.

If the PO installed push buttons and switches to make everything work, I wouldn’t even mess with try to get it started until all the alarm wiring is removed. Most of the wiring looks like it’s been tapped into using scotch locks (which are known for wreaking havoc on automotive wiring), so I’d start removing them and repair the wires with heat shrink butt connectors.

The few wires that have been fully cut and spliced can typically be found taped off nearby, so it’s down to matching colors.

If you have to get it moving immediately, check for DTC’s - my bet is you’ll have a code that says PCM didn’t receive the OK to start signal from the BCM.
Old June 1st, 2021, 3:50 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Agree with Gumby... next step is to get the make and model number of the alarm and pull the connection diagram from the manufacturer web site.
This would gives you a good starting point and will tell you to what wire it is connected to.
You'll have a clue if a wire has been spliced and should be reconnected to the original location.