Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

HVAC Fuse keeps blowing + vents blow hot air

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:53 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default HVAC Fuse keeps blowing + vents blow hot air

I've taken two 5+ hour (each way) road trips lately. On the return leg of both trips, roughly 5 hours in, the fan stops blowing, and all the vents begin to emit hot air. The van does this regardless of what position the temperate control **** is and what position the vent **** is in. Although putting the **** in Max A/C seems to reduce the flow of hot air to some vents. This obviously is annoying as it's the middle of summer and it's hot outside. If I change the vent **** position, I can hear the vacuum "hiss" behind the dash, so I suspect that system is intact and functioning properly.

While I haven't been able to find much on this specific combination of symptoms, I've found a youtube video implying the blower motor resistor harness needs to be replaced? I did notice one of the terminals appeared to be slightly damaged though I'm not 100% sure.

The blower motor resistor was replaced approximately 2 years ago with a Dorman part.

This is the video I found:

Anyone have a similar issue or other insight for me?

Thanks!
Old Yesterday, 12:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 273 Likes on 236 Posts

The connectors/terminals for the blower motor & resistor are known problems. If any of the terminals for either the resistor or motor appear to be scorched, replace them (post a pic of you’re unsure). Dorman makes a kit that has connector pigtails and heat shrink terminals.

I’d recommend a new blower motor and resistor, as one of them failing tends to cause the other to fail as well.

As for hearing the vacuum hissing when selecting modes, it depends how loud it is.

My experience with a normally operating system has been a very light hissing that lasts only a few seconds (and is easily drowned out by background noise).

I recommend inspecting the vacuum harness in the cab - they tend to sag by the passenger side of the dog house and can get caught by feet/tools/etc - I’ve seen a couple that got pinched in the doghouse as someone else was putting it on.

You should also check the vacuum line from the intake manifold to the check valve for the vac reservoir. They tend to break down over time and can oftentimes just fall off the intake fitting. If you touch it and it feels “crumbly” or you get black residue on your hands, replace it. 2 feet of 1/4 or 3/16 vacuum or fuel line works well.

Last edited by Gumby22; Yesterday at 12:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jamesm113 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gumby22
As for hearing the vacuum hissing when selecting modes, it depends how loud it is.

My experience with a normally operating system has been a very light hissing that lasts only a few seconds (and is easily drowned out by background noise).
Yup, could only hear the hiss for a second or two when the music was off and stopped at a light. Otherwise it couldn't be heard.