Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Le Moose

Search this Thread

Old June 1st, 2018 | 3:24 PM
CF Veteran

Nothing new to report, other than a new certification. "Dog Tested, Dog Approved". Hope, the Wonder Dog.
Attached Thumbnails Le Moose-img_20180601_135940306_hdr.jpg  
Old July 26th, 2018 | 6:33 PM
CF Veteran

Okay, no major work today, but I tackled the brake light camera. I know I talked about this in another thread, but it wasn't mine. The issue was that it was fogging up. I took the lens up and looked, the bad news is that it doesn't seem that the cam comes apart. My thought was to put in some silica gel to dry it out. And I can see why it's happening. There's a hole in the top of the a$$ end of the camera, and there's no gasket on the lens. So I jammed a packet of silica gel up in next to the hole, reassembled it, and sealed it with some 2" electrical tape. If this seems to work, I'll go back in a couple weeks, replace the silica gel, adding more, and properly seal it with RTV.

Warning to anyone who got one of these brake light cameras- seal it up when you install it. I'll keep you posted on if this trick works.
Old August 23rd, 2018 | 5:51 PM
CF Veteran

Okay, finally put in the rear shocks. But before that, I had to remove the bed to have the rear A/C unit serviced, under warranty. The rear evaporator developed a leak. Luckily, the bed was designed to be relatively easy to remove. I'm keeping it out for a week or two, to help a friend move.

So, someone asked me how I was going to compress the shocks to install them. Well, I wouldn't suggest cutting up a good ratcheting tie-down strap, but if you know someone who works at a motorcycle dealer, new bikes come strapped into a metal cage. The strap I used came from there. It is the same as a store bought one, except without the metal hooks, and basically only a single strap.
Old August 24th, 2018 | 7:54 PM
CF Veteran

And after an outing, I can report.....Wow. Huge difference. My truck doesn't ride so much like a truck anymore.
Old October 29th, 2018 | 3:40 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by StanVan
Okay, I got a few things done today. I ran power to the rear of the van , and installed a cig socket to charge a phone bedside. I built bedside LED lamps out of mahogany. And also, a "night stand" of sorts. It is made from re-purposed tongue and groove knotty pine.
Stan,
I am about to embark on a conversion on my 2006 Express 3500. I notice youve left in the 2nd row bench seat, and made the bed fit behind in the load space/3rd row area. This is my plan also; but what is the size of your mattress? Do you have the pillow end right up to the back doors?
Old October 29th, 2018 | 12:05 PM
CF Veteran

Actually, I remove that one seat when I'm camping, and can add the front one if I need to haul people. The bed is queen sized. It is made from a 3 inch mattress topper(which I had) and a 4 inch topper(which I bought). Both are memory foam, and give the best nights sleep ever. The bed goes almost to the back doors. I left room to reach down and open the door if needed. It does need to have about a foot of the bed on a hinge at the front to flip down so the seat can go in that slot. It took quite a bit of planning and measuring to come up with a design to do a bed that size, and to have the ability to have two of the bench seats.
Old October 29th, 2018 | 12:21 PM
CF Beginner

Actually, I remove that one seat when I'm camping, and can add the front one if I need to haul people. The bed is queen sized. It is made from a 3 inch mattress topper(which I had) and a 4 inch topper(which I bought). Both are memory foam, and give the best nights sleep ever. The bed goes almost to the back doors. I left room to reach down and open the door if needed. It does need to have about a foot of the bed on a hinge at the front to flip down so the seat can go in that slot. It took quite a bit of planning and measuring to come up with a design to do a bed that size, and to have the ability to have two of the bench seats.
Thanks Stan, good food for thought on the depth of the mattress. How long + wide is the Queen in the US? I have just about 6' from the back of the 2nd row seat to the back door, and about 5'3" full width to the fitted plastics above the arch.
Old October 29th, 2018 | 2:25 PM
CF Veteran

60"wide by 80"long. I just went out and measured (cause I'm 61, and didn't remember!). Measured from the mounting platform for the seat, it's 13 1/2" from the bottom of the plywood to the mount. I don't know how much you read of the build, but the first try was 3" higher, and my head would hit the headliner, so the platform height is important. Then, the front 15" is hinged, so it folds down (not fully, but enough) to allow a bench seat in the second position.

We will need to see pics of the finished project. Don't tell Ron (Teammuir) but I like the red.
Old November 4th, 2018 | 8:41 PM
CF Pro Member

Nothing new to report, other than a new certification. "Dog Tested, Dog Approved". Hope, the Wonder Dog.

This picture gives me a good happy laugh. Before I bought my truck, I looked at a 2012 AWD Passenger Van. Looking at your pics, I wish I bought it. The interior, the glass, the rear heater.. I like the bed idea. I am going to 're-entertain' it, but I do not think I can do it.

By the way, if you named your truck, I am gonna have to name mine - which the factory already did. It's the Paint Code.
Old December 17th, 2018 | 4:10 PM
CF Active Member

I had to switch computers for a pic of the bed frame. And it's not the best shot, but it is the only shot I have. I built it so that it just sits in there. My philosophy on stuff like this is to do as little "damage" to, in this case, the interior of the van. And so it can be removed and the seats can go back in if the need arises. This is a shot of the first version, and the only thing I did was to remove the 2X4s across the "feet", basically lowering the frame a little over an inch and a half.
I just noticed how the side doors are almost all way open. How do you do that? Is there a lock? I cant open mines all the way..