Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Le Moose

Search this Thread

Old February 18th, 2019 | 11:02 PM
CF Veteran

Thank you. I'm waiting for warmer weather to redo some of it.The entire bed assy had been taken out for some warranty rear AC/heater work, and the empty space came in handy today to move a sectional couch for my daughter. And the backup cam failed, so I have a new one to go in. It isn't happening soon, as we're supposed to get 6-7 inches of snow/ice tomorrow night. Brrr.
Old March 3rd, 2019 | 11:22 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by StanVan
Okay, I got a few things done today. I ran power to the rear of the van , and installed a cig socket to charge a phone bedside. I built bedside LED lamps out of mahogany. And also, a "night stand" of sorts. It is made from re-purposed tongue and groove knotty pine.
I like the looks of your "night stand" on the side of your bed. Can you post a picture of it with the doors opened up to see how they work and the extra storage they give you?
Thanks.
Old March 3rd, 2019 | 11:58 PM
CF Veteran

Unfortunately, I can't. It's currently apart. I had to have some warranty rear HVAC work done, and the bed assy needed to go. I'm leaving it out a bit as I have to replace the backup cam, and the wires run along the floor. And then there's the weather.

But I can say there isn't a lot of storage. While the top is about 6" wide, the base is the 3.5" side of a 2X4. And because I made the whole bed assy to be removable, gravity and the foam mattress holds it in place. Luckily, I used memory foam, so it remembers what to do.
Old May 28th, 2019 | 9:03 PM
CF Active Member

Is this camera still working out for you ?
Amazon Amazon
Thank you
Ken
Old May 29th, 2019 | 6:41 AM
CF Active Member

do the newer LS engined conversions vans (explorers YF7s) that come w/ NAV have backup cameras?

I like the linked camera however I want to be able to view downward to trailer hitch.

I have an independent el cheapo $6. chin cheesie camera and audio o vox monitor.TB
Old May 29th, 2019 | 3:34 PM
CF Beginner

I have my Samsung Tablet resting on the steering column in front of the standard gauges. It is in a standard thin case. I folded back the hinged cover and it fits in nicely between the padded dash and hard plastic bezel(?). I have all the gauges I need and then some running Torque Pro. I found having it mounted to the right of the dash was distracting.
Old June 2nd, 2019 | 3:16 PM
CF Veteran

ChevyVanMan- no, my Navinio quit working, but I believe it was because I wired it to be on whenever the radio was on, not with the backup lights. I did that so I could switch to it at any time to monitor my trailer. I think I just wore it out. The replacement is wired to a switch.
Old June 2nd, 2019 | 3:18 PM
CF Veteran

Brain- I want to mount a separate camera at the hitch, to aid in backing up to the trailer.
Old June 2nd, 2019 | 5:33 PM
CF Active Member

Backing everything all the way up to 53' at work with and w/out cameras installed (7 years), nothing beats proper mirrors and knowing how to use them. Just experience here, don't fixate on anything, keep checking.
Old June 2nd, 2019 | 9:17 PM
CF Veteran

First, my trailer is so small, I couldn't see it at all in my Astro. With the Express, it's even worse. Being so small, it's no big deal to bring the trailer to the van. But sometimes, I need to haul something bigger. A second cam at the hitch would make it much easier to back up TO a trailer.

On a side note, a job I had too many years ago, I drove a 10 wheeler. Every night I had to back it up about 100 yard gravel driveway, and **** it in to a diagonal parking spot. Fun times.