Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Le Moose

Search this Thread

Old June 2nd, 2019 | 9:30 PM
CF Active Member

Love the alley dock, yeah those mirrors are made for backing. The camera is another tool to retain safety with. Gotta get a cheapo set up for mine eventually for pedestrians, don't know why there's a mirror inside at all.
Old June 4th, 2019 | 5:51 AM
CF Active Member

stan please post images of you'r backup camera stuff.
off topic:
w/ the newer LS style vans at expressway speeds how much wind is directed into cab?

I'm thinking the extended front reduces the wind compared to the 02 and older shorter front vans.

I'm also thinking the bug deflectors help reduce the wind.
Thanks TB
Old June 4th, 2019 | 8:33 AM
CF Veteran

It may take me a day or two to get pics, and I haven't installed the lower one yet. I haven't found a switch I like to switch between the two.

But as for interior turbulence, it isn't much worse than any other vehicle I've had. It does, however, make a huge difference when I open the very rear windows. The turbulence virtually disappears. In fact, I just leave those windows open all the time. Because they open at the bottom, rain never comes in. I only close them when washing the van.
Old June 5th, 2019 | 2:37 AM
CF Active Member

actually turbulence is one issue on it's own, sounds like the rear window equalizes the pressure.

I'm more curious about the driver windows position allowing airflow, like on my 02 express(same w/ previous 99 Astro)at expressway speeds the window had to be more than 1/2 way up or it was just too much wind.

so I'm looking into 1.bug deflecter 2.window shield wind diverter. first I need a new van.

I just missed a 05 explorer upfitter online auction, probablly good that I missed it. it was a chicago beater exposed to rock salt.
Old June 5th, 2019 | 3:14 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by the Brain

so I'm looking into 1.bug deflecter 2.window shield wind diverter. first I need a new van.
Came with in the Craigslist deal for me. Have to run the dash vents on the highway even. Almost 0 airflow from outside without the wing mirrors backwards. Fairly noisy too above 50mph.
Old June 5th, 2019 | 9:37 PM
CF Veteran

As long as the back windows are open, it's a joy to buzz down the highway. It doesn't have to be both of them, and having one or both front windows makes no difference either. I don't have a bug deflector, but I do have the thingy's on the front door windows that keeps the rain out.
Old June 6th, 2019 | 12:55 AM
CF Pro Member

Some years have two cabin air pressure release valves in the back above the tail-lights, and some have one. That probably makes a difference. My 2014 has one, my 2015 had two.
Old June 6th, 2019 | 1:14 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by dberladyn
Some years have two cabin air pressure release valves in the back above the tail-lights, and some have one. That probably makes a difference. My 2014 has one, my 2015 had two.
first time hearing about cabin air pressure release valves is this on the 2003+ express's

edit:my 02 express has the same type of doors as the newer LS vans but never noticed any valves.

are these valves designed to be open during expressway driving speeds or is this for extreme high altitudes like in the mountains?
TB
Old June 6th, 2019 | 1:16 AM
Super Moderator

They open any time the pressure inside is greater than the pressure outside.

When you blast your vents on full the air has to go somewhere.
The following users liked this post:
the Brain (November 1st, 2019)
Old June 6th, 2019 | 6:57 PM
CF Active Member

Appreciate it
Ken