Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van
View Poll Results: Which engine would you get if you were using an Explorer van for the limo business?
V6/8 speed
40.00%
V8/6 speed
60.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Looking for advice...V6 vs V8

Search this Thread

Old October 25th, 2022, 9:32 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking for advice...V6 vs V8

I am in the limousine business and considering buying an Explorer van. I see I have two options V6/8 speed and V8/6 speed. I read some reviews on Car&Driver of the V6 Silverado and the V8 Silverado. They got 16 mpg with the V6 and 13 mpg for the V8. Fuel is money and so mpg is a concern. Overall reliability and durability is a concern.

So please give me your honest thoughts on these two engine/trans combinations. Im also wondering if I can put a GMC grille on the Express van...I like the GMC look.

Last edited by Limoman; October 25th, 2022 at 9:35 AM.
Old October 25th, 2022, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

what's an Explorer van?
People really hire full size vans for a night on the town?
V6 should be more than enough for people hauling.
Old October 26th, 2022, 9:43 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
what's an Explorer van?
People really hire full size vans for a night on the town?
V6 should be more than enough for people hauling.
There are a few companies which will take a cargo van and convert it into a luxury cruiser or even what looks like a modern day limousine. Explorer is one company, Royalle is another, Waldock, etc. Its good to google it and you can see what they came up with. Hillary Clinton is driven around in an Explorer van.

People hire these vans for different events and occasions like going as a group to a football game, graduations, weddings, etc. People enjoy drinking as a group but this can be dangerous if everyone drives thus someone sober like me ready to drive them. The football game is most especially popular with lots of liquor. Im there to make sure their time goes as planned.

Just any van wont do. To attract the business you need to be fancy.

I was reading about the 8 speed and not a lot of people favor it. Lots of problems I read about so thr V6 may not be an option.
Old October 26th, 2022, 12:31 PM
CF Beginner

I found an article on GM Authority. Back in July 2019 GM found the problem of the 8 speed....it was the fluid. I looked on Consumer Reports and carcomplaints. No one is reporting transmission issues anymore.

I would love a big 400 horse engine personally speaking but think the V6 will do just fine.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/08...sion-problems/

The following users liked this post:
Triaged (October 26th, 2022)
Old October 26th, 2022, 8:14 PM
CF Beginner

I did some further research. On the 2500 series trucks and vans the two engines are as follows:

6.6liter V8 L8T
https://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engines/l8t/
https://www.holley.com/blog/post/dee...w_6_6l_l8t_v8/
- Moves the van from 0 to 60 in about 7.5 to 8 seconds.
- 12-13 average mpg
- Truly a heavy duty motor GM built for reliability. GM purposely left out cylinder deactivation technology and auto-start/stop as that has been known to cause reliability issues.
- GM states the transmission for this engine is a heavy duty version of their 6 speed.

4.3 liter V6 LV1
https://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engines/lv1/
https://www.motorreviewer.com/engine.php?engine_id=196
- Moves the van from 0 to 60 in a little over 9 seconds
- 15-16 average mpg, does 3 better mpg then the V8
- A less powerful motor emphasizing fuel savings while providing decent performance
- While its not quite as purpose built durable as the L8T V8, GM did make some durability modifications like not including AFM with the engine.
- The 8 speed which is paired with the V6 has a bad reputation, but my sources indicate that it was a fluid change which solved the issues. The 8 speed included is not a purpose built heavy duty version like 6 speed included with the V8.

The mpg figures I came about from reviewing Fuelly website.

Basically the V8/6speed is a beast in ways of durability and power. Seems like if you do a lot of hauling and towing this is it. The 4.3 liter V6 is more for light-duty applications like a passenger van that just hauls people versus much heavier loads. So the plumbers van filled with heavy pipe and equipment probably the V8. The airport or hotel shuttle van can make do with the V6.

Thus Im going to get the V6. I think that will suit my needs just fine.
Old October 26th, 2022, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Limoman
it was a fluid change which solved the issues.
Somehow, I doubt that. It sounds more like an excuse.
Old October 27th, 2022, 2:33 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
Somehow, I doubt that. It sounds more like an excuse.
Something isnt quite right IMHO. The 8 speed was out for a bit of time and just in 2019...years after it came out...they are saying it only needs a transmission flush with the new Mobil oil. So it does require more of an explanation. I am wondering if anyone had problems after 2019 with the 8 speed...
Old October 27th, 2022, 6:07 AM
CF Beginner

A few additional notes based on my research...

According to Chevy the Express van with the V6 has more payload capacity then the V8 gas or diesel engines. The main difference is in towing capacity. The V8 has greater towing capacity. Besides that the other differences is #1) V8 far greater acceleration #2) the V8 seems far more robust and better for severe service then the V6 setup #3) of course the V6 has about 3 mpg better gas mileage on average.

Thats all I have found and posted it here should it be useful to someone in the future.
Old October 30th, 2022, 12:57 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank You for posting this information, as I am currently making the same decision you are. Both engines are adequate, it is the transmission that is in question. Also for 2023 the v8 6spd will be discontinued (except for cutaway vans). So if you want a V8 better get one now. Diesel is gone also, unfortunately.

Last edited by greenfire; October 30th, 2022 at 1:04 PM.
Old October 30th, 2022, 1:38 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by greenfire
the v8 6spd will be discontinued (except for cutaway vans)... Diesel is gone also
So you are saying there will only be a V6 option next year? How do you know? There are none listed for sale online.

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; October 30th, 2022 at 1:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Looking for advice...V6 vs V8