Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Moving seats in a 15 passenger?

Search this Thread

Old March 25th, 2018, 9:39 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I normally run mine around in 12 passenger mode and you have about a mile of cargo space behind that back seat. I brought home a washing machine, dishwasher, dryer and microwave in one shot.

Originally Posted by GatorHawk24
Thanks for checking. 0 for 2 on the rails, so I guess that confirms it. At least I know what to expect when we finally get to look at one (might even happen today).
Old March 27th, 2018, 8:47 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man I wish I would have bought a 15 passenger....... only one they had was a 4.8l though and I didn’t have time for that haha. Nice thread Chris, sometimes it’s nice to find life hacks! Just wish I could have did this in our 12 pass.
Old March 28th, 2018, 3:28 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Momentum_bowtie, If you have the extended length 12 pass van, I bet you could add the 5th row. You'd have to purchase the 4-person split bench, which may differ slightly between 12 and 15 pass versions (I suspect that it is the same bench and risers, but the risers are probably bolted to the other side of the mounting point on the seat frame to achieve the 1 inch offset that has been discussed... Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about this, I don't have the hardware to confirm this theory).

I've looked at a few extended length vans now (both 12 and 15 pass versions), and all of them have the same rail configuration under the seat (as long as it's the newer version with the split 4-person seat... older vans used a single-piece bench, and those rails will be different). You will just do the reverse of what Chris did... see photos on the 1st page.
Old March 28th, 2018, 3:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Chris found that yes, the rails are there. But, in addition to the seats, you also need the plastic bezels that cover the carpet edges. Expensive at the dealer, and most vans in a junkyard are cargo vans, so they won't have them. And they actually have a function, which is to keep stuff from getting in there.
Old March 28th, 2018, 6:01 PM
CF Junior Member

I have the standard WB. I’m not looking to put a 5th row in. I took my 4th row out to increase space for my detailing setup which is going to be modular to enable vacation room. With detail setup installed I’ll still have 8 seats. When we travel I’ll remove front bench and install 4th row 4 seater and put luggage up front. That way we have seating for 9. If I was able to swap 3rd row for a 4 seater I’d never have to jockey seats around again. It is what it is..... I should have bought the long WB.
Old December 29th, 2019, 10:23 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by StanVan
... you also need the plastic bezels that cover the carpet edges. Expensive at the dealer...
Do you by chance have the part number?
The following users liked this post:
jono55 (June 4th, 2022)
Old December 30th, 2019, 10:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry, but no. None of the websites I know show the carpet at all, much less those bezels.
Old January 3rd, 2020, 8:20 AM
CF Beginner

Hi, First time poster, just came across this entire thread, tremendous information that we have not been able to get the answers to from any dealerships. Have an unusual combo we are looking for info on, want to eliminate the first row rear seat on a 2020 and replace it with half of the fourth row split seat. we are thinking probably one side of the split seat will lock in, but if the rails dont extend all way up front then all we would have to do is figure a way to anchor the one side that doesn't have a rail available? Thanks for any advice, again great forum here for information...
Old January 3rd, 2020, 3:26 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Merida Tomczak
Hi, First time poster, just came across this entire thread, tremendous information that we have not been able to get the answers to from any dealerships. Have an unusual combo we are looking for info on, want to eliminate the first row rear seat on a 2020 and replace it with half of the fourth row split seat. we are thinking probably one side of the split seat will lock in, but if the rails dont extend all way up front then all we would have to do is figure a way to anchor the one side that doesn't have a rail available? Thanks for any advice, again great forum here for information...

Unfortunately, not all of the rails run the full length of the van. The rails that lock in rows 2-3 run the full length, but the rails designed for use by the split seats are only available in rows 4 and 5. I had a similar goal, except I wanted to place the 4 seat split bench in the 3rd row... folks on this forum helped me realize that this wasn't possible, and a trip to a dealer confirmed that answer (you can feel the rails under the carpeting if you know where to press on the floor.
Old January 3rd, 2020, 5:43 PM
CF Beginner

Thats what we kind of thought from everything we have seen here. Our goal is just have that half seat in the first row behind the driver and just the one seat right behind it, so we end up with a 6 passenger van that can haul enormous loads of you name it, without the need for a trailer or roof rack.

Quick Reply: Moving seats in a 15 passenger?