Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Moving seats in a 15 passenger?

Search this Thread

Old January 3rd, 2020, 6:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hoping maybe somebody has tried the half seat way up front deal and whether the left side locked into the existing rail and how they had the right side attached to the floor by fabricated bolt on floor bracket, welding, etc.. Thanks..
Old March 6th, 2021, 11:23 AM
CF Beginner

Greetings,

New guy here. I'm curious if there are any plugs (coverings) for the mechanism in the floor when the seats are removed, something just to fill and cover the void? Also, any suggestion what and where to find some sort of vinyl flooring to go right over the carpet of a passenger van floor. This would be most of the rear of the van. The front will be for seating of family. Back, that I'd like to cover would be for dogs, hauling gear, camping, canoeing, kayaking junk. Just trying to persevere the carpet.

Thanks.
Old March 9th, 2021, 3:19 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Just get a big rubber mat somewhere and cut to fit.
The following users liked this post:
VinzClortho (March 9th, 2021)
Old December 13th, 2021, 12:00 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

My '15, 12-passenger 3500 doesn't have the rails for the 4 person seat extending far enough forward. I don't know why I didn't check sooner because they are easy to feel under the carpet. The 4 person, 4th row rails go forward about 2ft past the seat but stop for some reason half way under the 3rd row seat. I'm not sure it will be worth the hassle for me to buy longer rails and install them. I've heard the rails are hard to remove but I'll take a look someday.
Old December 17th, 2021, 1:55 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Merida Tomczak
hoping maybe somebody has tried the half seat way up front deal and whether the left side locked into the existing rail and how they had the right side attached to the floor by fabricated bolt on floor bracket, welding, etc.. Thanks..
I'm basically looking to do the same thing, did you find out anything?

General questions for the group:
When I was a kid my dad had a '77 Chevy 3/4 ton "Sport Van". It was an eight passenger (I think they all were back then) with the front two then two bench rows of three each. The benches were interchangeable but the mounting brackets were recessed into the floor. It would have been VERY difficult to add additional mounting locations as it would have required cutting the floor. From what I have seen in this thread it looks like the modern seats mount to "rails" that appear to be mounted on top of the floor. Is that correct?

I've seen the discussion here and elsewhere about the lack of four rails forward of the last two rows. How difficult would it be to add them? To clarify, I have a welder and I'm mechanical enough to be comfortable drilling and bolting or welding them in but is that possible?

I have two kids (2-1/2 and 17 months) and a third on the way with the possibility of a fourth after that. What I'd like to do initially is exactly what @Merida Tomczak mentioned: Put the 1/2 bench immediately behind the driver's seat. Then I'd have a seven passenger vehicle with a large open area to step into at the side door to tighten down kids in seats and about a mile of cargo space behind the seven passengers.

In theory I'd like to find an extra 4-wide bench or at least the driver's side of one so that I could do this seating by row:
  1. Driver and front passenger
  2. 1/2 bench behind driver, open space on passenger's side
  3. 4-across bench
That way I'd have an eight passenger vehicle with LOTS of cargo space.

In theory I'd really like to have as much flexibility as possible such that I might put a 4-across bench in row two giving me a six passenger vehicle with TONS of cargo space or whatever.

Along these lines, can someone please tell me how many rows of seats fit in front of a 4x8 sheet of plywood?

Thank you in advance.
Old December 18th, 2021, 9:48 AM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by VantoNatParks
I've seen the discussion here and elsewhere about the lack of four rails forward of the last two rows. How difficult would it be to add them? To clarify, I have a welder and I'm mechanical enough to be comfortable drilling and bolting or welding them in but is that possible?
There are some YouTube videos out there of people removing them. Not all of the bolts are easy to get to. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SyuSntLSGwI
Old December 18th, 2021, 2:42 PM
CF Senior Member

https://www.gmpartsprime.com/auto-pa..._hardware.html

https://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/g...-20870173.html

https://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.c.../20870173.html
Old December 20th, 2021, 9:45 AM
CF Beginner

Thank you @Triaged for the response and links. I watched the video but he is REMOVING the rails, I want to ADD rails. Does anyone know if this is feasible and if everything lines up right once you do it?
Old December 27th, 2021, 10:48 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by cowolter
Sorry to dig up an old-ish thread, but I tried doing this with my passenger and I couldn't get the passenger side bench to fit. The hooks fit into the mounting points in the track but the bottom seat cushion was stuck on the wheel well so it wouldn't sit flush to get the 'L' shaped locks through the track and seat. I even took out the interior panels thinking it would help but it still didn't fit. While it was out I put in the poor man's dynamat and it helped with interior sound deadening immensely.

It looks like yours drop in with no issue or did you have to do anything else to get them to lock?
My website
Is this (#49) not the exact comment as an earlier one (#14) by @x3inchesx ?
Originally Posted by x3inchesx
Sorry to dig up an old-ish thread, but I tried doing this with my 2014 15 passenger and I couldn't get the passenger side bench to fit. The hooks fit into the mounting points in the track but the bottom seat cushion was stuck on the wheel well so it wouldn't sit flush to get the 'L' shaped locks through the track and seat. I even took out the interior panels thinking it would help but it still didn't fit. While it was out I put in the poor man's dynamat and it helped with interior sound deadening immensely.

It looks like yours drop in with no issue or did you have to do anything else to get them to lock?

Old January 20th, 2022, 9:52 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by VantoNatParks
Thank you @Triaged for the response and links. I watched the video but he is REMOVING the rails, I want to ADD rails. Does anyone know if this is feasible and if everything lines up right once you do it?
Bumping this back to the front page because I'm still hoping that someone knows the answer to this . . .

Quick Reply: Moving seats in a 15 passenger?