Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

My 2001 Camper Conversion Van

Search this Thread

Old March 1st, 2020, 7:41 AM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Black'95
Things are finally coming to completion on the transfer of everything from my old 2001 van to the newer 2018 van. This last week I transferred the ladder. This time instead of drilling holes in the van's door, I fabricated a couple of bottom brackets that clip over the bottom edge. When I tightened everything up, they fit very solidly.

After the ladder was installed, I then went to work on the underhood trouble light I got from my sister's wrecked Suburban. I had to fabricate a couple of mounting brackets for that also. I guess that is why I have been putting off these two jobs. The only thing I have not transferred from the old van to the new is the tachometer. But in my defense, the new van does have a digital tachometer function on the dash display of trip, odometer, and mileage functions.

Now I just keep my eyes open for new ideas from the postings of others on this forum. The modifications never stop.
good work on the ladder & underhood light I thought all the 03+ express's already had a light (my 02 had this light) on the driverside though.
Old March 1st, 2020, 9:15 AM
CF Active Member

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by the Brain
good work on the ladder & underhood light I thought all the 03+ express's already had a light (my 02 had this light) on the driverside though.
You are correct about the Express van having an underhood light. My old 2001 and my newer 2018 both had an underhood light on the driver's side. The one I added came off of an old Suburban and it has a switch on it to turn in on only when you need it (not when the hood opens) and it also can be pulled out of the holder like a small trouble light and then cranked back in (you can see the crank handle and the on/off switch just to the right of the bulb in my photo). It can be shined into tight places for a better view than that of the standard under hood light attached to the hood. I like to add this light along with the air compressor pump from my old camper. (I upgraded the old camper with a plastic water tank and a demand use pump after my metal tank started leaking.) Another modification I make is to hot-wire my van's electric windows. That way I can operate the power windows without having the key in the ignition switch. Never happy unless I can wrench it or modify it!

Last edited by Black'95; March 1st, 2020 at 9:32 AM.
Old March 10th, 2020, 12:00 PM
CF Active Member

I had one final install to convert everything from my old 2001 van to my newer 2018 van. It was the air compressor that I had removed from my old camper. I mounted it underneath on the frame behind the auxiliary battery like I had it in my 2001 van.

Then again like in my old 2001 van, I ran one air hose up under the hood with a quick coupler on it and the switch to control the compressor located just to the right of my relay for camper options. All of my wires have labels for what they control in case I forget in my old age.

Finally I ran a second air hose with quick coupler to the rear which was mounted below my bumper with another switch to control it from this location.

I now have an air supply for toys (*****) that need air, tires, and air for my extra water tank.
Old April 12th, 2020, 9:42 AM
CF Active Member

I decided to add a little extra water storage for showers and general use. I got the idea from another van camper site. I used PVC pipe with a couple of end caps and a T with a screw on cap for filling it with water. I used the outline of the pipe to make three wood holders for the pipe. The rear most wood holder is the highest with the middle one lower and the front one the lowest to better drain out the pipe during use. Then I strapped them each down with heavy duty zip-ties.

I added a tire valve cap to the T so I could pressurize the system with my air compressor mounted under the van. (see previous postings) The valve cap is the type with threads and a nut on the inside instead of the type that is just pressure pulled through the hole.

On the front (low) end of the pipe, I drilled a hole, cut some threads, and mounted a quick-disconnect from an air compressor system so that I could connect a hose to it. I used the air quick-disconnect instead of a water hose quick disconnect because the air type acts like a shut off valve when the hose is disconnected, whereas the water type does not. I would have had to add a shut-off valve with the water garden hose type of disconnect. I did add a quick disconnect with a capped off end to keep the bugs out of the open hole.

Lastly, I put a quick connect on one end of some clear tubing with a shower head with a shut off valve mounted in it for use when showering. With the pipe painted black I am hoping it will warm up enough while driving that we can take warm showers with in the evening. I have an infrared digital laser thermometer that I can use to check the temperature of the water in the pipe or the clear hose. I made a second piece of tubing with a quick connect and a valve to get water for my coffee pot in the morning. I will let you know in a later post how it worked after I get the wife-approval rating!

Old May 2nd, 2020, 5:13 PM
CF Active Member

As I mentioned in my previous thread about window screens that slip over the top of the door like a sock to keep the bugs out and still allow you to roll down the windows. The first ones I ordered did not fit so I returned them. I did some more searching on the internet and found another brand called Qualizzi Mottors that came in XXXL size. I am happy with them because they fit over the back doors of my Express van and they fit over the driver & passenger doors too. They even fit over the outside mirrors and were still tight enough to keep the bugs out. See the following pictures.

They even came in their own zippered storage pouch.

Back door fit with the window open.

Inside view of driver's side door with screen covering.

Outside view of driver's side door with screen covering the mirror.

To make it a better seal against any wind, I added a few strong magnets along the bottom edge.

Last edited by Black'95; May 27th, 2020 at 2:50 PM. Reason: photo updates
The following users liked this post:
johnt365 (May 31st, 2020)
Old May 3rd, 2020, 6:09 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Black'95
As I mentioned in my previous thread about window screens that slip over the top of the door like a sock to keep the bugs out and still allow you to roll down the windows. The first ones I ordered did not fit so I returned them. I did some more searching on the internet and found another brand called Qualizzi Mottors that came in XXXL size. I am happy with them because they fit over the back doors of my Express van and they fit over the driver & passenger doors too. They even fit over the outside mirrors and were still tight enough to keep the bugs out. See the following pictures.

They even came in their own zippered storage pouch.

I have never seen those before. I might have to pick some up.
Old May 29th, 2020, 5:25 PM
CF Active Member

Time for another modification to my water storage tube. During our Memorial Day trip to visit our grand daughter and grave visitations, we got to use our water storage tube for the first time. It was a little tricky filling coffee pots, etc. from the dangling tube. I have a magnetic tool tray that I use on the side of the van and have a magnetic LED light attached to it also. I made a little DIY bracket to attach the tube with water valve to it. I mounted the wood block to the magnetic tray with a stud and a wingnut so it is easy to attach and detach. Now I find it easier to fill my coffee pot without requiring three hands.

Sean Rothar (February 26th, 2021)
Old December 12th, 2020, 10:50 AM
CF Active Member

I have not made any major modifications to my DIY camper conversion van in quite some time. We have been using it all summer camping at state parks in SD that we have never been to before. We even camped last week (December 6, 2020) at the Game Lodge Campground in Custer State Park. My van's sun visors are somewhat lacking compared to the one's in my old 1990 Blazer which had a panel to slide out on one end for more efficient sun blocking. My newer vehicles have sun visors that actually slide on the rod to extend farther. I decided to make a change in mine similar to the old Blazer. I have sun visor organizers on them and simply slipped an old plastic license plate filler from our local car dealer behind the sun visor organizer. Now I can slide it out for more sun blockage. I did the same thing on the passenger side. Simple but effective.

Old February 10th, 2021, 9:19 AM
CF Active Member

Ever since I added an 12 volt water pump to my DIY van camper conversion sink, it has pumped too fast when I switched it on. I requested some help in another forum link and found the answer I needed. So recently I purchased a 12 volt motor speed voltage regulator, installed it and it solved my problem. I can now turn down the speed of the pump for small water jobs and turn it up full blast for filling my coffee pot to make campground coffee. I like the model with the volume **** on wires so I could mount it close to the faucet handle and have the circuit board hidden away under neath the cabinet. I am not making any major changes to my van camper -- now I am just "polishing the apple."

Old February 10th, 2021, 9:22 AM
CF Active Member

Cooped up in my garage due to Covid, I have had time to work on my DIY van conversion again. I needed a place to store my toys and had some extra space on the driver's side of the roof rack. I have an extra water storage tube on the passenger side. Taking all my measurements, I built a long box in my wood shop. I needed it long for storing my fishing rods, metal detector, remote controlled car, and other items I want to carry with me but not clutter up the inside of the van. Here is a picture of it from the back and another picture from the front and side. Once I get it out in the outside light I will update the photos and add on showing the space inside.

Sean Rothar (February 26th, 2021)

Quick Reply: My 2001 Camper Conversion Van