Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

My 2001 Camper Conversion Van

Search this Thread

Old June 11th, 2024, 5:30 PM
CF Active Member

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I have not updated is quite awhile, So for my latest addition to my van camper is a Christmas present from my son. He knows how I hate flies, so he gave me a Bug-a-salt gun to keep them away from my picnic table. I must admit it works great.

Old June 13th, 2024, 9:50 PM
CF Active Member

Default Blue Tray

As I approach 80 years old, I am finding it harder to get up on the van's roof rack to get my recliner camp chairs, table, and tire step down. My wife is afraid I might slip and fall off or she might slip with the chairs as I pass them down and scratch the paint of the van. So I decided it was time for another modification. I built a wood tray to fit over the lid of the rear box that would hold my recliner chairs, collapsible red table, and tire step. They stack and strap in for travel. The tray fits over the top of the blue box lid. I am not worried about the extra weight on the back as this van is a 2500 model which can carry more weight than my old 2001 that was a 1500 model. I also built into it a wood pocket to hold the front tire of our electric scooter that is strapped to the rear ladder.

I built the tray so that when we get to the campsite, we can loosen the connectors and, with the two black handles on each side, lift the whole tray off with everything still strapped on making it easy to get in the back of the van during initial camp setup. With me on one side and my wife on the other, we can easily lift the whole bundle off and set it on the side out of the way for access to the chairs later.

I use turnbuckles to attach it solidly to the metal hitch tray. They are easy to disconnect when we want to take it off at the campsite. Little cup hooks hold the turnbuckles up out of the way when they are not in use. Large eye screws act as anchors for my straps to hold everything in place during travel

I have two turnbuckles on the front and two on the back. A magnet holds the turnbuckle wrench on the inside of the tray for easy access.

Last edited by Black'95; June 13th, 2024 at 9:54 PM.
Old June 14th, 2024, 9:01 PM
CF Active Member

I attached a double magnet to the tray to hold my wrench for the turnbuckles.

A cupholder hook holds the turnbuckles up out of the way when removing and and reloading the blue tray on the box.