Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

My VAN 20th anniversary

Search this Thread

Old March 26th, 2021 | 9:46 PM
Super Moderator

I never lose any coolant
Old March 29th, 2021 | 9:31 AM
CF Active Member

Well,
Time to take her to the shop... any estimate of labor/parts cost? I dont see any evident leaking. Nor where her parks or smell or mark of drops anywhere I can find...
Old March 29th, 2021 | 10:49 AM
CF Junior Member

Get under the van and look for drops of coolant collecting at the bottom of the engine, directly behind the crankshaft pulley on the front of the engine.
The coolant leaks at the intake manifold gasket will evaporate off the hot engine block while you’re driving and don’t usually puddle on the floor underneath the engine. On my van I was able to see a single drop on the bottom of the engine after everything had cooled down.
I did all the work myself, so can’t give you an estimate of the cost if you take it to a shop.

Peter
Old March 29th, 2021 | 2:07 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by MiragePilot
Get under the van and look for drops of coolant collecting at the bottom of the engine, directly behind the crankshaft pulley on the front of the engine.
The coolant leaks at the intake manifold gasket will evaporate off the hot engine block while you’re driving and don’t usually puddle on the floor underneath the engine. On my van I was able to see a single drop on the bottom of the engine after everything had cooled down.
I did all the work myself, so can’t give you an estimate of the cost if you take it to a shop.

Peter

I just took this picture. Do you believe all that stain behind the pulley is the leaked coolant?
Old March 29th, 2021 | 2:24 PM
CF Junior Member

It looks like it to me. The area circled in blue is where I observed drops of coolant on my van. The coolant is either leaking from the water pump or the forward end of the lower intake manifold gasket.
If you remove the coolant reservoir it will give you better access to inspect for leaks around the pump and intake manifold-to-engine block mate line on the front of the engine. If you can’t see anything, then you will need to do a coolant pressure test and that will expose the leak sites.

Based on my experiences with two of these vans (same model), it were me I would plan on replacing the lower intake manifold gasket, water pump and radiator. And, since you’re in there, I replaced the coolant hoses and the thermostat too.

Peter

Last edited by MiragePilot; March 29th, 2021 at 2:25 PM. Reason: Added picture
Old March 29th, 2021 | 4:22 PM
CF Active Member

Ok got it! thanks Peter!