Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Need help buying tires.

Search this Thread

Old August 29th, 2013, 2:32 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help buying tires.

Hello all, fellow Van lovers, this new dude which is also a Van lover, would like to have a few opinions when it comes to tire buyin'.

I know the most basic way of finding the manufacturer's recommended tires is found on the driver's door jamb. Is it absolutely necessary to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for the tires I need? (255/70 R 15, my van is a 2000 Express 1500 that is a conversion)

With that size, I hunted the tire websites such as Tirerack.com, Firestone site, NTB (currently under maintenace) and Dobbs' (the local chain of auto shops) and was given limited choices (about 2 choices per site) and way bit too pricey. All the sites recommended a 235/75R15 sizing for my van, and gave me a lot more choices with brands and types with reasonable pricing. Most of the 235's have similar load rating as the 255 counterparts.

Will i be risking myself and my passengers by choosing the 235 route (as long the load rating and other necessary specs are similar to the 255 specs)? I am not trying to cut corners, just trying to expand my options that are still within specs for the tires.

My choices of the 235 tires all have a 108 load rating and "T" speed rating, which is the same as the 255's just couple centimeters smaller and less than an inch narrow.

235/75r15 = 28.9X9.3R15 vs 255/70r15 = 29.1X10R15

Your help will be appreciated and thanks in advance for replyin'
Old August 29th, 2013, 4:21 PM
CF Beginner

Talking

On my van I have 245/70 -17 But I would prefer to have like 225/70 - 17 or 225/70 - 15 I guess u would earn a some gas to have smaller tires!! But some like them big!!
Old August 29th, 2013, 6:34 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well you are looking at shorter and narrower tire there. Maybe a slightly bigger size would have more options?

The size on the door jamb sticker is the same size that's on the van now?
Old August 29th, 2013, 8:49 PM
CF Beginner

Discount tire, depending on what you want and how good of a negotiator you are, they have plenty of styles and models and you could work down the price. Especially with Labor Day weekend, sales are going on, I know especially at my store, were having a huge sale
Old August 29th, 2013, 10:51 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for replyin' y'all;

greenfire: yes the tires mounted on the van is the same as posted on the door jamb. I cannot go any bigger since they exclude the 15/16 inch rims. the 255 choices are pretty much limited and I'm pretty picky about tire brands and ratings (treadwear and load).

The 235's gives me more options such as All Season or All Terrains and better treadwear rating and equal load rating. the 235/75's are just like .3 inches smaller in diameter and .7 narrower. And probably give me a less balloony lookin' tires. I like my tires tall and lookin' bit stiff, not lookin' like a tire thats on a 17-18 rims like my current 255's.

and yeah, i'll probably try to have the shop throw in a free/discounted brake job if the tire prices are makin' a dent in the wallet.
Old August 29th, 2013, 11:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My 02 tire size is 225 75 16 load range e. I have 245 75 16. That is alittle over 3 percent bigger in overall circumference, so my speedo is off a bit. I compared fuel economy with these bigger tires to the stock size and found little drop in city mileage and a little bump in hwy.
Check out 1010 tire.com They have a great tire size calculator. You can compare different sizes to keep close to the stock circumference.
Double check your load rating. The higher the better. You don't want sloppy sidewalls....don't get a 6 play if you need a 10 ply.
Old August 30th, 2013, 12:54 AM
CF Beginner

so as long it has better load rating than 105 and a S/T speed, its gravy?
Old August 30th, 2013, 9:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

check the tire size chart to see how the size you are looking at differs from the stock size.
Old August 30th, 2013, 6:11 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by GhostSilverado03
Discount tire, depending on what you want and how good of a negotiator you are, they have plenty of styles and models and you could work down the price. Especially with Labor Day weekend, sales are going on, I know especially at my store, were having a huge sale
Love Discount and there web site if you go by vehicle will only show the correct load range !!
Old August 30th, 2013, 6:18 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

D load rating should be perfect for a 1500 van. E would be a bit overkill.

If it were my van I would be putting the correct size on there.

Quick Reply: Need help buying tires.