Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Ongoing DRAC/VSSB Issue

Search this Thread

Old January 22nd, 2020, 1:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ongoing DRAC/VSSB Issue

Hi Everyone,

I am still having issues with my DRAC/VSSB on my 95 GMC G2500. I figured it's easier probably just to give you the facts first.

I first had an issue with the common symptoms of a bad DRAC/VSSB and/or VSS a little after 100k (when these all go bad from what I've seen), where the first thing I did was replace the VSS, where the issues remained. I then ordered a used replacement, with no history on this unit. I installed it, and everything worked perfectly for a few thousand miles, where my issues came back (no speedometer and only having 1st gear/possibly 2nd).

With this, I assume that the used unit's time ran out, and it now too needed replaced. I decided to forgo the mystery used unit route again, and decided to spend the big bucks on the refurbished unit (UD Module). I received my unit in a timely manner, installed, and no change.

I at first, was thinking that there was an issue with this refurbished unit, however, I soon came to the realization that it may be possible that the first (used) DRAC/VSSB I purchased, may still be fine, and that something else is wrong. I don't know at this point.

1.) Has anyone ever had an issue with the UD Module refurbished unit?
2.) I noticed only one of the two plug sockets are being used on my vehicle's DRAC/VSSB module, which is what I recall from before (it has been some time though), or should there be a second plug dangling somewhere under the dash that I am overlooking?
3.) If this all checks out, what should I look at next?.... Is there a fuse associated with this at all by chance?

Last edited by 95vanman; January 22nd, 2020 at 1:47 PM.
Old January 22nd, 2020, 11:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

You may be having trouble with the speed sensors themselves. They do act up sometimes. Otherwise I would ask the experts at UD Module for help.
The following users liked this post:
loopedr1 (January 31st, 2020)