Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Outside temp display?

Search this Thread

Old December 1st, 2018, 3:43 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

It is a Gentex I believe.

Last edited by dberladyn; December 1st, 2018 at 3:50 PM.
Old June 22nd, 2021, 5:27 PM
CF Active Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default compass and airtemp 08 express base

where does the compass module mount?i see a listing for an ambient air sensor,is that the same as the outside air sensor?if so where is that located?
Old June 23rd, 2021, 4:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

yes the same. Usually mounted behind the grill, fairly low.
Old June 23rd, 2021, 5:08 PM
CF Active Member

Default mirror

Originally Posted by dberladyn
It is a Gentex I believe.
check rockauto...they may have it more reasonable.
Old June 23rd, 2021, 5:09 PM
CF Active Member

do you know where the compass module goes,im thinking of trying to add this feature to my truck
Old June 23rd, 2021, 6:45 PM
CF Active Member

Default air sensor

i looked behind my grille and there is no sensor or wiring harness that would suggest it could be added,my truck is an 08 express base model.how hard would it be to retrofit?
Old June 24th, 2021, 8:47 AM
CF Pro Member

I tried adding the compass module. I even used actual GM wire pulled from another van, installed with the proper wire colours, with the proper wire pins, just as if my truck came from the factory with the compass. As part of the sales contract, the dealership had to enable the compass feature for me.

They spent all day trying to re-flash the computer so the module would work. It turns out that this is in GM Headquarter's control and not theirs. After much frustration, they determined that I could have the compass display if they flashed the truck to be a different model. I was to lose an option, I forget which.

Something was to be different than it is now and I just decided forget it. It's just too much. I have always kicked myself for that decision, I think I should have said go ahead. If I lost Onstar, which I think was to be the case, who cares? I want the module gone anyways.
Old June 24th, 2021, 6:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

I have a compass in my DIC, and never once have I used it. Everyone has smartphones these days anyway.
Old June 25th, 2021, 1:39 AM
CF Pro Member

I would prefer to look straight down at the dash and see the compass heading.

I know my way around pretty good, but there have been a few times when I have been turned around and headed the wrong direction, trying to figure out which direction I was headed. The Sun is not always a reliable indicator. Neither is a smart phone which isn't very smart when the battery is dead, has no signal, or doesn't work because you couldn't afford to pay the bill.

I like things that just work. Especially when you are running late, the gas light is on, and you only have two dollars and change in your pocket. You name the scenario, I have been there. Too many assumptions relying on people having a phone. Relying on using a phone. Out of all the options.... I wish I had the compass.
Old June 29th, 2021, 11:42 AM
CF Active Member

Default base model express vans

so i dont mind doing alittle work and possibly paying alittle money but climbing mount everest to try and add a option is out of the question...most hurdles seem to be the wiring and needing to be programmed at the dealership that doesnt seem too bad anyone else add any options?

Quick Reply: Outside temp display?