Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Please advice on O2 sensors

Search this Thread

Old November 26th, 2022, 4:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 662 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
follow the troubleshooting
https://www.obd-codes.com/p0155

Originally Posted by the Brain
plan to install new O2
Don't guess!
Follow the troubleshooting in the link I gave you.

The following users liked this post:
the Brain (November 27th, 2022)
Old November 27th, 2022, 4:48 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

re: o 2 sensor removal. go on you tubes . (get the premium subscription for a month, you won't get d bombed hill trying to watch a 15 minute video. ) there is a video by a guy who says some of the o 2 sensors are more easily removed when the exhaust system is warm. (that makes no sense to me because metals expand w heat. maybe he socket for the o 2 sensor expands when it's warm then you can get the señor out more easily, I dunno. the videos by south main auto are especially good. nd remember

aJoe says to clean it not just tighten it.
the Brain (November 27th, 2022)
Old November 27th, 2022, 12:12 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
Don't guess!
Follow the troubleshooting in the link I gave you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svDzJMEnVD0
watched a few videos came up w/ this procedure however these values are for the rear O2, which I believe are the same as the fronts, bc there suposed to be the same then the engine control computer conpares the 2.

Test O2 sensors wiring

Lite blue wire -0.01VDC

Pink should have battery voltage 12VDC

Purple/white trace ½ volt .43VDC

Tan 0.04VDC
from bottom I can't remove the O2 w/ a crestent wrench and small cheater pipe, it's not leverage I'm lacking it's to tight no room to move wrench, maybe the front O2s are removed though the top by removing doghouse.

in addition to slite socket I may need a folding racket which I still don't have.

edit: while under there all the wiring was attached nicely ontop of frame away from the hot exhaust pipe, after I get sensor installed I'll have to figure out how wires where secured to frame.wires where in good shape no burns thanks mountainmanjoe excellent advice as usale.

Originally Posted by MitchM
re: o 2 sensor removal. go on you tubes . (get the premium subscription for a month, you won't get d bombed hill trying to watch a 15 minute video. ) there is a video by a guy who says some of the o 2 sensors are more easily removed when the exhaust system is warm. (that makes no sense to me because metals expand w heat. maybe he socket for the o 2 sensor expands when it's warm then you can get the señor out more easily, I dunno. the videos by south main auto are especially good. nd remember

aJoe says to clean it not just tighten it.
I'm not apposed to cleaning the carbon deposits off the O2 however doesn't that require a ultrasonic parts cleaning tool? I'm just a bolton Guy w/ limited tools. thanks MitchM I will check out south main auto.

edit: heating up the exhaust then work on it no no not for me thats a good way to burn the skin.

Last edited by the Brain; November 27th, 2022 at 12:17 PM.
Old November 27th, 2022, 1:44 PM
Super Moderator

maybe he socket for the o 2 sensor expands .
metal SWELLS with heat. In all directions. Inward and outward. The who point of using heat is that different parts expand and contract at different rates when heated and cooled. This breaks them free for you to loosen. (Nothing to do with making them bigger or smaller). I'm not sure exhaust gets hot enough to make a difference though.

get the premium subscription
or, get an ad blocker for your browser, and you don't have to watch ads, or pay anything.

the videos by south main auto are especially good.
SMA is an excellent channel. And you always see Eric break out his torch, and get those exhaust bolts red hot before hitting them with the impact wrench.

Joe says to clean it not just tighten it.
well he said it was clogged up. I can't imagine that a sensor intended to measure gases is going to work very well when the gasses can't get to it.
All that carbon isn't a good sign, by the way. The engine is probably running too rich, and the cats might shot.
Old November 27th, 2022, 1:58 PM
Super Moderator

these values are for the rear O2, which I believe are the same as the fronts, bc there suposed to be the same then the engine control computer conpares the 2.
Incorrect.
They should be different. That's how the computer knows the catalytic converter is working. There should be pulses of oxygen in the exhaust stream immediately after the engine. There should be none after the cats because the oxygen has been chemically reacted.

Test O2 sensors wiring...
the first thing you'll want to do is graph the live data from the O2 sensors.

I can't remove the O2 w/ a crestent wrench and small cheater pipe
the only thing adjustable wrenches are good for, is rounding off nuts and bolts. Especially on stubborn, seized, rusty exhaust parts. Get yourself a proper O2 sensor socket. They don't cost that much.

I may need a folding racket which I still don't have.
You can do almost anything with the right extensions and a u-joint

doesn't that require a ultrasonic parts cleaning tool?
I take that advice back. It's better just to replace it. (if that's where the problem lies!)

no no not for me thats a good way to burn the skin.
long sleeves and gloves!
It's winter anyway.
Old November 28th, 2022, 12:48 PM
CF Junior Member

Mountain man recommended the car wizard you tube and it is an excellent 32 minute read.

One of wizard s tips is using some huge long extensions to get at fittings too tight to access w a standard socket. One of the car wizard s tips was how to do that.

at 140$ an hour OP could buy some of the stuff the wizard recommends . Get that o 2 sensor out !,,

Old November 30th, 2022, 9:47 PM
CF Active Member

yes I saw the folding racket w/ builtin O2 socket, I imatated it w/ a regular racket an a universal. not enough room was able to turn o2 socket w/ the cresent, a 18mm wrench would have made it less hard. anyway I was able to swap the 02 sensor.

how many engine on/off cycles before the check engine light goes away? my count is 3 ons & offs.haven't driven her yet to see if I get extra power. thanks Guys for advice.
Old November 30th, 2022, 11:49 PM
Super Moderator

Anyone who can change an O2 sensor with a racket must be a magician
MitchM (January 29th, 2023)
Old December 1st, 2022, 11:49 AM
CF Junior Member

OP Brain : can you not turn off the current CEL with a scan tool ? or have auto zone or a friend etc. do that ?

then if it comes back on, you need to observe the P Code DTC on a scan tool , and proceedings accordingly to fix what ever else the P code suggests .
Old January 26th, 2023, 11:14 AM
CF Active Member

I removed the engine cover the other day found a few broken exhaust manifold bolts.

1 on #8

2 on #7

Already knew about front most on #1

3 total broken mannie bolts.

I’ve been informed that a broken mannie bolt will interfere w/ the O2 sensor.

Could a broken bolt on #8 ruined my upstream pass. Side O2 sensor I recently replaced?

I’m not hearing any extra exhaust noise or smelling carbon monoxide fumes.

I do see some carbon blackness on both #7 & #8 but have sean much worst blackness

On images from net.

Could these leaks lessen my power & fuel milage?

Planning to use these clamps to repair the broken bolts.
https://www.amazon.com/3mirrors-Manifold-Universal-Compatible-Silverado/dp/B087N7KWB4/ref=d_pd_di_sccai_cn_sccl_2_3/144-3857527-0201307?pd_rd_w=2PNqq&content-id=amzn1.sym.e13de93e-5518-4644-8e6b-4ee5f2e0b062&pf_rd_p=e13de93e-5518-4644-8e6b-4ee5f2e0b062&pf_rd_r=XYG949R4W0SKDBXQRYPS&pd_rd_wg=55uJQ&pd_rd_r=f5969e71-2400-4e43-ab68-48c2bc87abc0&pd_rd_i=B087NCP2C3&th=1 https://www.amazon.com/3mirrors-Manifold-Universal-Compatible-Silverado/dp/B087N7KWB4/ref=d_pd_di_sccai_cn_sccl_2_3/144-3857527-0201307?pd_rd_w=2PNqq&content-id=amzn1.sym.e13de93e-5518-4644-8e6b-4ee5f2e0b062&pf_rd_p=e13de93e-5518-4644-8e6b-4ee5f2e0b062&pf_rd_r=XYG949R4W0SKDBXQRYPS&pd_rd_wg=55uJQ&pd_rd_r=f5969e71-2400-4e43-ab68-48c2bc87abc0&pd_rd_i=B087NCP2C3&th=1

What do you Guys think

Quick Reply: Please advice on O2 sensors