Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Radiator fittings for tranny fluid lines are wrong size.

Search this Thread

Old February 16th, 2023, 8:32 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator fittings for tranny fluid lines are wrong size.

I have an ’89 G20 sport van with 5.0. The radiator is shot, a slow leak, no saving it. I bought a Murray 433709 at O’Reillys. It’s the correct unit except for one problem. The female thread on the radiator for the oil lines is 5/8 inch diameter. The old radiator is 1/2 inch diameter. This I discovered after trying to install it. I got the lines in place, but wouldn’t tighten of course. The tension of the fluid line made it difficult to realize it was the wrong size. Then I had the bright idea to take it back out and measure the openings, Just by eyeball with a machinists rule it’s obvious.

I went back to O’Reilly’s, they have no information on the thread size in their computer description of the various models that fit my van. O’Reillys did not have anything on the shelf that looked right.

Last edited by cmac2012; February 16th, 2023 at 12:34 PM.
Old February 16th, 2023, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 659 Likes on 598 Posts

Go to a plumbing supply store and get an adapter.
Or install a separate cooler.
Old February 16th, 2023, 12:10 PM
CF Active Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You need a 5/8 to 1/2 reducer bushing. Any plumbing section in store should have that.
Old February 16th, 2023, 2:53 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for that, I guess it should have been obvious. Not why I am so insecure with this one. I am half of a plumber myself, I am well-versed in looking for fittings that will make the job work, sorting between flair, compression, and NPT. This one is not common in my experience.

This part sort of looks like a normal flare fitting. Then again, most that I see on the shelf or more of a male flare, this is the female part of the flare. The male part is in the aluminum. Looks like aluminum to brass, I don’t imagine. A really powerful torque is needed to seal. No idea if I should use a torque wrench for that. Maybe the old German way, gutentite is what’s needed.

*ETA* the thread on this almost has to be 1/4 inch NPT. The testing is not perfect, but nothing else even comes close. I’m not finding that inverted flare on the end however. I’m really hoping for the dream fitting, that is, this male part and a female part for half inch to match the male fitting pushing the tranny fluid line in.
Attached Images  

Last edited by cmac2012; February 16th, 2023 at 4:11 PM.
Old February 16th, 2023, 2:58 PM
CF Junior Member

But this one I don’t completely understand. Not sure what type of thread is on the bolt like thing that slips over the fluid line. Not even sure how to name that type of thing. But the O-ring inside kinda confuses me. I didn’t think hot tranny oil would be sealed that way.

More *ETA*

The fitting that pushes the fluid line into place doesn’t match any of the three main thread types. Might be 3/8 flare, looks that size, but I couldn’t try it out on the little test rack or with anything off the shelf because the flare tip prevents it from going in far enough. One thing is certain, it’s not pipe thread, it’s not a compression thread. It is a weird sum beetch, that much is clear. I went to a professional plumbing supply store, they said no way do they have it.

Last edited by cmac2012; February 16th, 2023 at 5:04 PM.
Old February 17th, 2023, 8:03 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 94 Likes on 83 Posts

First find a bolt that will go in there. Be careful, it might be metric. M16 is very close to 5/8 and is one of the GM o-ring fitting sizes.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...860&pt=1001789

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...0854848&pt=284

Last edited by Triaged; February 17th, 2023 at 8:16 AM.
Old February 17th, 2023, 4:23 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Find a fitting that fits the radiator and has an inch or two of line on it. Connect two metal lines with a piece of hose. Throw away the strange fitting..

I've run them this way thousands of miles. In fact I had one Suburban years ago they replaced all of the lines with hose. Worked great until one rubbed a hole on the bracket they'd run them through.
The following users liked this post:
Triaged (February 17th, 2023)