Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

side door lower hinge Cracked

Search this Thread

Old August 26th, 2022, 9:46 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default side door lower hinge Cracked

side door lower hinge Cracked.just my luck I finally get a van w/ driver side side doors

And this happenes dam.

03 GMC Savana I’m thinking the hinge pin seized then the actuel hinge cracked.

1.on a 03 is the whole hinge bolted on or welded on?

2.Am I forced to buy expensive hinge pins w/ zerk fitting to avoid this cracking in future?

3.even if I had the hinge welded, seams extremely difficult to remove the pins.

One y-tuber was using a tool that fired a 22 shell to remove the pin, like couldn’t I hit pin w/ a screwdriver from underneath pin?

4. I liked the video where the man drilled 2 small holes where the pins sits sparyed wd40 and was done.wonder how often he sparys.

5.ebay apparently has the hinge pins at a reasonable price.have welded or JB cold weld expoxy an ebay pins. Need a easy way to remove pins? Please advice thanks

NEW FOR 96-19 CHEVY GMC VAN SIDE CARGO DOOR HINGE PIN & BUSHING REPAIR KIT | eBay

Old August 27th, 2022, 11:24 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Back during the cash for clunkers thing I bought power window doors off a '97 Express to flip and I don't recall doing anything special to remove the pins, just ran a flat punch up from the bottom and they came right out. But, nothing was broken and those doors opened easily. If they're frozen you might have to drill them out.

If you have to drill them I'd say start with an HF step bit, they work much better on metal than a regular one, the only problem is once you get to the step that's the size of the hinge pin you'll have to go to something else.

Hinges were welded on and that was the only way to remove. Maybe you could drill them and use bolts to attach but I don't know there is anything under then to bolt into, it may just be the body sheetmetal there.
Old August 28th, 2022, 8:42 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

not the front doors the side door and evedentalley it's a problematic hinge the grease dries up,previous owner must have forced a ungreased door and snap goes the weasle of a hinge.
there's a $45. hinge pin removal tool.
cracked side door hinge 03 savana. the ebay hinge appears to be attached w/ 3 bolts, at $63. it's kindof pricei, for a pin w/out a zerk fitting. it's either relace hinge or have hinge welded.I'd like to unbolt a used hinge and replace pin, sean a few videos on this problematic hinge.if hinge was in a vice could the orginale pin be beaten out or drilled out?I don't like the idea of a $45. tool to press out a pin. I really liked the video where the man drilled to holes into hinge and sprayed wd40 on pin.
1st image is of prefered pin w/ zerk 2nd image of hinge & pin w/out zerk.
I'd like to unbolt used hinge.
the ebay seller only has the right door hinge so a left side door mite be diffacult to obtain.
do you think JB cold weld expoxy is stronge enought?
thanks for hinge advice edit still waiting on advice on my other longish thread.

Last edited by the Brain; August 28th, 2022 at 8:53 PM.
Old August 28th, 2022, 9:39 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

I don't know why there would be any difference in the side door hinges from side to side. Worst case, a right side rear would be the same as a left side front (for the middle doors).

But they're all welded on and you take the door off by removing the pin, it doesn't matter which door.

I've never used the JB weld but it can't hurt to try. Either it will work or it won't.

My 02 has a stiff hinge and I hit it with the PB Blaster once in a while, then swing the door back and forth to work it in. Seems to work for a few months, then it gets stiff again. Might be worth a shot to get the pins looser to remove them.