Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Suggestions about an Express 2500

Search this Thread

Old January 7th, 2019, 8:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by canucklehead
I think you can opt for the vinyl floor in the passenger van. You don't have to have carpet. Unless vinyl is only in the base model....
The 2500 and 3500 come with a tranny cooler if you get the tow package.
The g80 locking diff is a must.
A passenger van with 3 rows of seats is a 1 ton, so I am not sure if its not just worth getting a 15 passenger.
The diesel is a good albeit expensive option as well.
I didn't know that there were different options for the flooring. I was thinking that I would just remove whatever carpet and interior plastic "dashboard" components all together so that I would be able to mount shelves and such. I have toyed with fabricating some folding bunk-beds for when the whole family (4 of us) goes to the track so that we don't have to tent it.

From what I gathered the difference between the 2500 and 3500 is payload capacity which I surmise means that the 3500 has a beefier chassis and springs.

I conservatively estimate that with all of my gear, 4 people and a bike (which I might just end up towing if I am taking 4 people in the van) that my total payload would be about 2,000 lbs.

Looks like approx 9,000 lbs towing capacity, but I think that those specs are for a 2017.

I definitely would get the tow package. Thanks for the info on the locking diff. Do you know what years offer that as an option?

If I got the 15 person van that would offer much more flexibility and interior room as well, thanks.

I don't think I need the diesel for my needs. My thought was that parts would be more readily available and cheaper with the v8 gasoline engine. Is that a correct assumption?
Old January 7th, 2019, 9:00 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 73shark
You might see if you can get your hands on the upfitter manual for the Chevy van to see how the manufacturer approves seat mounting points in a Chevy cargo van.
@73shark thanks for that tidbit of info. That'll give me some more specific research information.

I love forums with helpful members. Thanks!
Old January 7th, 2019, 9:02 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tsoleno
Does the G van give you enough height for your bikes? Maybe a commercial chassis?
Originally Posted by StanVan
Easily. No mirrors.
Yeah, no problem on height with sport bikes in race trim. Top of the windscreen is probably only 4 feet or so.

Old January 8th, 2019, 7:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

A locking differential isn't an option on these vans A limited slip differential is, although is is sometimes referred to as a locking one.

When I had my first Astro ('93), I would drop it off at the dealer by myself. I had a little CB125 street bike I'd load up in the back. But I did have to remove the mirrors. I miss that bike. But truly, I miss all my previous bikes.
Old January 8th, 2019, 11:00 AM
CF Junior Member

getting a hightop extended van and putting your bunk over the seats would probably be the best solution for you
Old January 9th, 2019, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 667 Likes on 605 Posts

Originally Posted by StanVan
A locking differential isn't an option on these vans
differentials with a viscous coupling are limited slip. They still slip, but it's "limited".

The G80 on these vans provides full mechanical lock-up with 50-50 torque split. It is an automatic locking differential.

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; January 12th, 2019 at 2:28 AM.
Old January 9th, 2019, 10:12 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by LCAC_Man
getting a hightop extended van and putting your bunk over the seats would probably be the best solution for you
That is a very interesting idea, and I think you are right that would probably be ideal.

The only questions there are cost and if I would be able to get it with the other features, notably the tow package.

I am trying to keep all-told, on-the-road, cost to 10k.

Are those much more expensive? Harder to find?
Old January 10th, 2019, 10:21 AM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't stress too much about the towing package, as long as you are looking at recent models. I own a 2016, 6.0L, and I was concerned about the towing package before I purchased it (I tow a 7500 lbs travel trailer with my van). When researching towing ratings I found this note on the Chevrolet towing guide, "The standard base cooling system includes all content required to attain maximum trailer rating. No optional cooling equipment available. The Heavy-Duty Trailering Equipment Package (Z82) includes trailer hitch platform and 7-wire trailer wiring harness." (I know this statement is valid back to 2013 vans, probably further). The Heavy Duty towing package is only a hitch and a wiring harness. You can install that in an afternoon for less than $300.

Here's the 2015 towing guide, I found it with a quick search on Google: https://my.gm.com/content/dam/gmowne...ide_122215.pdf
Old January 10th, 2019, 10:46 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by 647

I am trying to keep all-told, on-the-road, cost to 10k.

Are those much more expensive? Harder to find?
As mentioned above, tow package is an easy DIY project.
Hightops are both more expensive and harder to find. You'll have to be more patient and willing to travel to get a good one.
$10k won't be much of a budget unless you are looking at 8-12yr old rigs or are willing to live with higher mileage rigs.
Old January 11th, 2019, 3:09 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Having 2002 2500 and 3500 side by side the only real difference I see underneath is the rear springs are heavier and the brakes bigger. Front suspension is about identical, frame looks the same. I put a used rotor on the 2500 that came off a 3500 and had no problem with it. Both have aux trans cooler, oil cooler, P/S cooler and neither one seems to have a tow package. The 3500 was a stripper cargo van, it only has A/C because they made it standard that year. The 2500 is a passenger van and has one of the driver convenience packages.

I don't think there's anything particularly special to look for, than any other used vehicle. I can't get one front wheel off, they like to rust into place. They tell me the EVAP solenoid can go bad if they sit, but that's not too expensive or hard to change.